MichiganRob
Sr. Member
5000 Merc's
Hey guys
My brother was over to the house yesterday and I was showing him the 1925 Merc I had found...SO he says it's very nice but he's seen a lot of Merc's lately. My niece, his daughter is a teller at a local bank here and she calls him last week and says she has a bag of Mercury Dimes, $500.00 face value that a lady brought in and cashed out. He rushes down and buys the bag at face $500.00.
I don't know if my math is right but a Silver dime is about $1.20 melt value so 5000 Merc's must be worth about $6,000 dollars just melt plus whatever numismatic value any of them might have. Thought you all might like this story. I haven't seen em yet but I'll try and get a picture for ya
HH
MichiganRob
Hey guys
My brother was over to the house yesterday and I was showing him the 1925 Merc I had found...SO he says it's very nice but he's seen a lot of Merc's lately. My niece, his daughter is a teller at a local bank here and she calls him last week and says she has a bag of Mercury Dimes, $500.00 face value that a lady brought in and cashed out. He rushes down and buys the bag at face $500.00.
I don't know if my math is right but a Silver dime is about $1.20 melt value so 5000 Merc's must be worth about $6,000 dollars just melt plus whatever numismatic value any of them might have. Thought you all might like this story. I haven't seen em yet but I'll try and get a picture for ya
HH
MichiganRob
Upvote
0
It does seems that a $500 bag of silver mercury dimes would be more than a little odd and that that amount would get all the tellers a little excited. It almost seems criminal but I must admit that I like most the rest of us here would have driven down to that bank as fast as I could to score that dime bag knowing that the old lady surely couldn't have realized what she had. On the other hand, when my mother in-law died she had a crap load of things and the wife didn't want to deal with getting rid of the stuff in the most profitable way...we just gave away bags and bags of things without looking at the stuff. She had been a shop-a-holic and had many new items with price tags on them. Didn't want to deal with it at the time....perhaps this was the same thing. Perhaps this was an old lady with a husband that just died that was a silver hoarder...like me







