What's new

5000 Mercs

MichiganRob

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
316
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
5000 Merc's

Hey guys

My brother was over to the house yesterday and I was showing him the 1925 Merc I had found...SO he says it's very nice but he's seen a lot of Merc's lately. My niece, his daughter is a teller at a local bank here and she calls him last week and says she has a bag of Mercury Dimes, $500.00 face value that a lady brought in and cashed out. He rushes down and buys the bag at face $500.00.

I don't know if my math is right but a Silver dime is about $1.20 melt value so 5000 Merc's must be worth about $6,000 dollars just melt plus whatever numismatic value any of them might have. Thought you all might like this story. I haven't seen em yet but I'll try and get a picture for ya

HH
MichiganRob
 
Upvote 0
Re: 5000 Merc's

That's a find of a lifetime! He should check the dates! Maybe a 1916D if he's THAT lucky!
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

OMG
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

W ;D W, congrats to your brother! And here I thought
there would be a catch to the title of the post. :tard:

Would love to see a pic of them..... :thumbsup:
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

Congrats to your brother, that's incredible. Please keep us updated and what he finds in there.
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

How could someone possibly turn in a bag of silver for face? She must have had alzheimers or something.
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

UTcoinshootR said:
How could someone possibly turn in a bag of silver for face? She must have had alzheimers or something.

I saw a teller take at least $200 in ben/walker halves and hide them in the closet under his drawer, where they keep the larger bills. No doubt keeping em for himself......an older lady cashed said in for face.
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

Good gawd!!!!
Dream bag - Certified!!!!
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

I usually see mercs go for 1 a piece on ebay in lots. 50 of them brings 50-55, 100 usually brings 100-110. This would bring around 5,000 on ebay an easy 4,500 profit. There might be a chance of GEM BU ones in there if not the king of mercs 1916d. If it was me I would get the XF's or better and sell them individually also the key dates and leave the VG non key dates and sell them in lots of 500 or 250.
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

Around here dealers are paying 12x face for 90% US silver. If you have a larger quantity sometimes a little more. Good $6,000 score........I wish I could make $5,500 on a $500 investment!

Check for 42 over 1 also. Could be a few hiding in there!
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

Unreal ... wow what a dream score ... kudos to your brother for a once in lifetime score .. and your math is on the $$$ looking at feebay common Mercs are going for $1.25 approx. ,Ed
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

if the teller would have not been his daughter, I highly doubt if any customer would have ever saw those dimes!
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

MichiganRob said:
his daughter is a teller at a local bank here and she calls
All I ever get from my daughter where she works are cookies. >:(
But they sure are good ;D
 
Re: 5000 Merc's

I'm happy for you, but feel a little bad for the little ol' lady. I'm surprised at how different the reaction here is for dimes vs the gold coins a while back.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom