55 gallon drum of silver dollars

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigdogdad,
If you want help, I could probably work on this next spring with you. Is this the same dowser referenced in the SEPaMan thread?

Hello Dover
Are you referring to the spot between the pool and cabana that I dowsed? It was my first dowse and the spot was confirmed using hi-tech infrared thermal imagery.

BDD's dowse was by Ovid. Ovid dowsed the gold pile for Fisher from the Atocha (or so I have read).

V

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vor, Go back and read post #6 Casca, Granted he was not the one that started the thread but he was the one that said a coalminer earned the silver dollars three 55 gallon drums full. As for the other about a 55 gallon drum of silver dollars told by a dowser you can trash that one too.

Went back and read. It said that he was a coal miner and "earned it". Maybe he earned it by driving the train during the robbery??? I don't really know but if BDD said he believes Ovid dowsed the Atocha gold, I would bet that he believes it so and nothing will change his mind.

I believe that there is not going to be much more evidence of its existence put out so it is a "believe it or not".

We'll have to see if BDD can find the same location after all of this time and development being what it has been over the last 23 years.

V

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was no gold pile dowsed for the Atocha only a pile of silver found by a college student who rode a bicycle to Florida for summer vacation. He was the one that found the pile of the Atocha--------no dowser.

I know you will probably have an answer that I don't want to hear but: how do you know so much about the finds of the Atocha?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some coal miners made very good money especially the ones who sat back
& made everyone work for them :laughing7:

Some of their relatives here in NE Pa now own almost all of N.E. PA

60,000 in 2, 3 years should not have been a problem in the early years of coal mining,
if you had 40 or so miners working for coal script that could only be used in the company store :laughing7:

read up on the Molly Maguires reason for their terrorism here

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only a mine owner could make that kind of money back then (do the inflation adjustment). These were the people who controlled or owned the banks so mot sure why they would bury the money. Or why wasnt it converted into a less bulky and less weighty form. Even is you dug it back up how were you going to lift it out of the ground and transport without attracting a lot of attention. Good observations on the number of coins and the shear weight of a drum of coins - that's not being skeptical, that's being intelligent and logical. Some of these boards need a lot more of that type of thinking. Wishes, hopes and dreams are great, but usually not when money is involved. Believe me I see it in the stock market every day - buried treasure, Chinese pink sheet companies, early stage biotech, Internet ipos - diff pieces of paper, all the same hopes, dreams, greed and emotion.

The professional treasure hunters start with hardcore facts like shipping records, manifests, insurance claim records, etc. i know a bunch of "experts" will quickly disagree but them be the facts. Undertaking a real treasure hunt is hugely expensive and no serious educated investor will fund without a lot facts. The world is very BIG so without some sort of real facts on where it is you are looking for a needle in a haystack. In most cases it is not on rumor or legend or by accident - those are the ones where stories float around third or fourth hand and for some reason no proof is ever offered of finds (yes I know the excuse is always that people are keeping it very secret to escape the tax man) - mostly wishful thinking and urban legend IMO.

My opinion for what it's worth - and that's not much!

Best of luck to everyone.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stock
What do you think about shorting CRM right now? Sure has shot up lately with just so-so earning.
v

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have already had one PM from someone interested in working with me on the 55 gallon drum story. I am only going to work with one individual or group. I am not interested in creating a scenario anything like the SEPaMAN saga. The person I will work with will be someone who believes in the possibility of the story being true and has the time and ability to see it through. As far as my reputation they can talk to ANYONE that has met or knows me. I refuse to work with or associate with anyone that has a negative attitude about dowsing. If you do not believes it works, that is your problem. You probably don't believe in much of anything.

Because of the circumstances of where the location of the 55 gallon drum was buried, if any developement happened on the spot in the last 23 years, the drum is gone. It is obviously a longshot and that should be taken into consideration as this is the case on almost ALL treasures and stories. You won't know if you don't try.

It is amazing how many experts there are on Mel Fisher and his exploits. He dealt with hundreds if not thousands of people in his quest for treasure in the water and some on land. For anyone to claim that they know for a fact what he did or did not do just shows a lack of common sense and that is putting it nicely. Mel Fisher was known to have worked with psychics, dowsers or ANYONE that could possibly help him find treasure. He was basically obsessed with finding it, that is what it usually takes and it worked. Along the way he paid a HUGE price for his success. I have spoken with dozens upon dozens of people that have claimed to have worked with him or to have known him. I only believe a small portion of what I am told.

As far as my deceased friend Ovid goes here is the deal. Around 1983-85 he went out on one of the Fisher crews boats out of Ft Pierce. He stood on the bow of the boat and led them to a pile of silver using one of his pendulums. After testing him and seeing what he could accomplish, they took him down to the keys in the same boat and he led them to a pile of gold. That is what happened. I would have to be pretty balsy to have repeatedly put this info on TN and put all the details in an e-book that I published. I am not currently trying to market the book although it is available and is an ongoing story. I know there will be people that read what I say and don't believe a word of it but I will assure you that I don't give a Rat's Rectum what any of the naysayers/skeptics think. The truth will ALWAYS be the truth.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vor said:
Stock
What do you think about shorting CRM right now? Sure has shot up lately with just so-so earning.
v

Stock always seems to be overvalued and there are questions surrounding their accounting. That being said, they have a great dominant product. I worked for a market neutral hedge fund for a few years. Shorting is very very tough. One thing I learned was never short a stock just because you think it's overvalued. The expensive tends to get more expensive. Think of all the folks who have thought aapl or goog had too much of a run only to see it double triple or more. I think to short a stock was a high degree of success you need to identify a very specific event/catalyst that will make the stock go go. IE - they will miss the next quarter, product will fail, very major change in competitive landscape, accounting fraud (like all the Chinese companies), etc. without a known catalyst your butt is just hanging out in the wind and you are fighting the tide of a rising market. Never forget that almost everyone wants a stock to go up - the company, shareholders, workers, even the government - so you are playing against the odds. We would not try and call the top, wait for the bloom to come off the rose and the stock to start rolling over and then short. You leave a little on the table but at least you have some momentum on your side if people think its a broken stock.

A long winded question to a short question. But like all stock analysts ( and politicians) I know how to talk a lot and sound smart without answering your question!!

Best of luck to all.

Eric

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally Frankn is correct. But people did not trust banks. We are talking coins being saved for 40 years or more. How fast does your penny jar fill up?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Frankn and Franklin are two different posters. You need to read it all. The Dog is doing what he does. He was strangely silent
after attending the benefit. Makes me wonder what really went down after the buildup and enthusiasm just prior. If one is
consistent with their comments it makes for interesting dialogue. But hey, he's the Dog, it's all good.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
40 years, anything is possible. I'd take a couple old paint can full of silver dollars. Best of luck in your hunt.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hello Dover
Are you referring to the spot between the pool and cabana that I dowsed? It was my first dowse and the spot was confirmed using hi-tech infrared thermal imagery.

BDD's dowse was by Ovid. Ovid dowsed the gold pile for Fisher from the Atocha (or so I have read).

V

I was actually referring to the dowser whom nickmarch said had a 100% accuracy rate.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
lastleg-I went to the benefit barbecue to help a TN member in need. Ask anyone that was there how much I helped out in many different ways. Only one LRL person showed and we decided it was best that his equipment stayed out of the limelight. I went there hoping to be able to dig but as soon as I talked to the manager and her husband I was informed that there would be no digging for treasure. I did talk them into letting me set up an area for the kid's hunt which I did. The kids had a great time. The only person who would have dowsed was Del Winders and he was feeling under the weather. No serious metal detector guys asked me about anything.

I did have one of the guys check a couple of the photo dowsed spots with his pulsestar and it read for metal. I do feel that there is treasure there and will eventually try to get permission to dig it up. I met many interesting people there. One guy used to work with Mel Fisher and remembered an old man dowser that dowsed for Mel. I stood side by side with Taffi Fisher as we helped with the auction. I went to the beach twice while I was there and detected.

The truth is I went with a new friend and we got to know each other very well and plan to go for the treasures. When I got back I debated about even spending anymore time posting on TN as I felt I had accomplished what I set out to do. I read the posts morning and night. Yes, I did not post any. I had nothing I wanted to say. As you can see I have had no trouble making up for lost time and will be glad to respond to any and all of your comments.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks Dog. I was a little concerned how you might be treated among seasoned wreckdivers. I imagine the LRL guys who didn't
show were more intimidated than you. :BangHead: That is understandible considering real divers have equipment that really works.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
lastleg-I don't get intimidated by anyone. When I told my LRL guy that we could not dig he was not interested in bringing out his equipment. He is not wanting to share it anyway. Since you are concerned about my treatment by the seasoned wreckdivers that I met why don't you ask any one of them what they thought of me and then post it on here. Would you like a list of some of them?

trol-?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn and Franklin are two different posters. You need to read it all. The Dog is doing what he does. He was strangely silent
after attending the benefit. Makes me wonder what really went down after the buildup and enthusiasm just prior. If one is
consistent with their comments it makes for interesting dialogue. But hey, he's the Dog, it's all good.
Thank you for your above information. You and Dog are good men and good friends, who I trust searching for treasures. Good luck.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumb question: what is a DOWSER?

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumb question: what is a DOWSER?

Dumb answer: I heard that it is a member of a mystical society that relies heavily on dart throwing and luck to find the location of previously found/recovered items, often treasure. :dontknow:

V
8-)

Merry Christmas to you BDD

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
dougofpa-There is a dowsing forum on T-Net. Go through it and read the posts. Ask your questions about dowsing on that forum. There are many non-believers on the other forums. I am assuming they don't believe in it for one or more of the following reasons. They were told not to believe it. They tried it and it did not work for them. They tested many dowsers and none of them could prove they could dowse and find things. They don't believe in much of anything. If they had seen dowsing work as I have maybe they would believe it. The odds are though that if someone dowsed something for them right before their eyes thay would still deny it and just call it luck or coincidence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread