Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1552.jpg

The Brinks boxes have been poor lately - just four 40%ers in last 39 boxes of Dunbar labeled rolls. This week's box showed some clad proof enders, including a double ender. All told, there were 59 clad proofs (impaired to varying degrees, some barely touched) of 32 dates. Of the 32 dates over 5 decades, 6 were in 1970's, all 10 of the 1980's, 7 from 1990's, 8 from 2000's and one over 2010. The range of dates was from 1973 to 2014.

The rest of the box was the usual Dunbar skunk.

But upon dumping this box at one of my credit union branches with a coinstar machine free for customers, the reject tray was full of change - which totaled $5.45, with one silver quarter (1960D). Interesting to find a nice silver quarter when dumping a skunk box. Had I gotten there 10 minutes later, that silver quarter would have been found by the CRH'er who arrived just as I finished.

I've found up to 3 proofs in past boxes, and haven't dumped any. So I have all the dates. Any suggestions on what to do with them? I have a 18 month old grandson and he won't be interested for years. Save the best example of each date and dump the rest?

Upvote 0

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a *LOT* of proofs.

I also set mine aside but I have no idea what to do with them.

As some have suggested in the past, maybe take the least impaired ones and use them as part of a tip -- that should get the waiter's / waitresses's / bartender's attention and amusement.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a *LOT* of proofs.

I also set mine aside but I have no idea what to do with them.

As some have suggested in the past, maybe take the least impaired ones and use them as part of a tip -- that should get the waiter's / waitresses's / bartender's attention and amusement.

LOL. Yes, I already do that with clad Ikes! A heavy coin holds down the paper money.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
sorry Mega heres the reality. once they've been in circulation they're not really worth more than face value. unless u can find a coin error??? heres what i used to do ? wait until that warm fuzzy feeling fades and dump em so some other newb can experience that feeling or give em to the kids and tell em how lucky they are to experience a piece of the past

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!! someone making a claim---- AND---- they actually have EVIDENCE to prove it :laughing9:---- a major deviation from recent scenarios :BangHead::dontknow::laughing9:--- more fake news coming soon:BangHead:

kudos on that super saver and the mega haul:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::occasion18:

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing happened to me back in September 2019 - big dump of JFK and Ike proofs (I posted about it back then). I spent or gave some away and kept the rest. I don't have any particular reason for keeping them - knowing that they aren't worth much more than face value as nomad said above. I happen to like the Ike proofs as I think the image of the eagle on the moon looks cool on a proof vs. regular strike - so I kept those.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too struggle(d) with what to do with impaired proofs. Its hard to just toss them back.

If you want to possibly profit from them, throw them on ebay. Set the minimum opening bid to a price that you feel makes it "worth your while" and see what happens. You can always dump them later if they don't sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread