North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5th Trip to Yard - ***1 of only 200 (?) Confederacy Vet Medal**

Well Folks, I detected back at the early 1900’s house yesterday and continued to dig through the trashy areas on the side of the house. It really amazes me how someone could throw some of this stuff away. :dontknow:
My hunch on this yard being a good one to detect has turned out to be correct. Lots and lots of cool stuff. Some areas I will have to come back and hit in the spring once the lawn is cut. I’m losing a few inches of depth on the targets due to the grass height.

Two of my first hits were a silver thimble and a large old copper coin. I thought for sure I had dug a large cent, but it was not to be. It turned out to be a 1914 Penny from Great Britain. :BangHead: My guess is it was brought back from World War 1.
The old jewelry, flatware, locks, and keys continue to come up.
On one signal, I dug my plug and saw a head rolling around in the hole. I then found the base that the head mounted to. It turned out to be a bust of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
It says “Our First **al (Real?) President Franklin D. Roosevelt” on the front.

I also dug a plated/painted copper Confederacy cross that I thought was pretty neat. Unfortunately the paint is chipping off.
UPDATE 1/21/2014 - CHECK OUT THIS GREAT INFO ON THE CROSS sent to me by Tnet member Bramblefind:
http://www.davidmaloney.com/gar/TheVeteran2003-2008/2003-2008Vol19No1.pdf

American Numismatic Society: Bronze and enamels Badge of Confederate Veterans Camp of N.Y., C.G. Braxmar, 47 Cortlandt St. NYC. 1967.226.1187

***According to the first link article it sounds like there were ONLY 200 MEMBERS.
Could this cross be one of ONLY 200???

Not sure what the large ornate Art Deco brass piece is from? Possible a vent from something? Nice piece though.

Two more Wheat pennies brought my total up to 43 so far.

I will be making the owner a nice relic display when I’m done. Some places don’t turn up enough relics to do so, but this one sure has!

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 006a.JPG
    006a.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Upvote 10

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! That yard is the Yard of Plenty! :icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright: Your Confederate piece was made by C.G. Braxmar Company of New York. They made badges for police, firemen and fraternities. I've seen some Firemen's badges by them listed on Ebay.
Charles G Braxmar (1850 - 1914) - Find A Grave Memorial

GREAT hunt (AGAIN) :)
Breezie

PS: I'm loving FDR!

Last edited:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Those are a bunch of good finds. The brass decorative piece might be an old boot scraper. Dman

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dug , A Day That Will Live In Infamy ,

my wife would throw it all away except the thimble . I would keep it .. I like that stuff ! 8-)

Weird , the opposing side from New York manufacturing selling CSA medallions after the battles were long over .

money hungry Ho's $$$$ :tongue3:

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Bubba-If you don't slow down, their yard will look like a Prarie Dog Town-LOl. I like it all my friend. Keep it up, Q.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a bunch of good finds. The brass decorative piece might be an old boot scraper. Dman

Thanks D. Maybe I should wrap it up and give it to BuckleBoy for a wedding gift. :icon_scratch::tongue3:
-DUG2-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bubba-If you don't slow down, their yard will look like a Prarie Dog Town-LOl. I like it all my friend. Keep it up, Q.

Q,
It's already beyond that point. At least they are getting free aeration and trash removal. I have about a 50lb trash can full of junk metal (non-brass or copper) to get rid of. I can't believe all of the brass water fixtures I've dug up there. I'll use them on my birdhouses. :thumbsup:
-JW-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Q,
It's already beyond that point. At least they are getting free aeration and trash removal. I have about a 50lb trash can full of junk metal (non-brass or copper) to get rid of. I can't believe all of the brass water fixtures I've dug up there. I'll use them on my birdhouses. :thumbsup:
-JW-
Don't forget to insulate the pipes-LOL. WTG, Q.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dug , A Day That Will Live In Infamy
my wife would throw it all away except the thimble . I would keep it .. I like that stuff ! 8-)
Weird , the opposing side from New York manufacturing selling CSA medallions after the battles were long over .
money hungry Ho's $$$$ :tongue3:

Dawg,
You Sir are a true nut case. You been hanging out with old man Quindy too long. He'll warp your brain. :tongue3:
Thanks for stopping by to read my post. I feel truly honored. :thumbsup:
-Snoope Dugg-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!
Thanks DK.
I remember going to Kalamazoo in the late 60's as kids to watch tennis tournaments. My mom and dad made me and my brother take tennis lessons one summer to get us out of their hair I think. :laughing7: Those lessons didn't last long though. We kept hitting home runs over the fence with the tennis balls. :tongue3:
-Doug- (From LaPorte, In.)

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you truly knew what I have achieved in my life ,,so far" not done yet " .

I am sure you would be proud . I have seen done so much but would rather not say in a public forum . All I can tell you is "have fun " . Took many hard knocks to be a success , remember Jedi Snoop Dog , you will never hear about the finds from the Best diggers out there . I have earned my fair reward right to be nuttier than a squirrels turd if I so choose to do so !

As Yodawg says

yoda.jpg

8-)

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it, why would you be banging your head because its a old Great Britain coin. I would still think that a very cool find? I guess you had your heart set on "colonial"? All great finds, ha he called you Bubba!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it, why would you be banging your head because its a old Great Britain coin. I would still think that a very cool find? I guess you had your heart set on "colonial"? All great finds, ha he called you Bubba!

Sorry TH, let me explain. I am very happy I dug a 100 yr old British coin, but for years I have watched other dig LC's and Colonial coins here on Tnet like they were memorial pennies. In my 10+ years of digging I think I have only dug three LC's so far, and if I recall only one had a date (1850). I think I need to move up North to your area. :laughing7:
Thanks for the reply.
"Bubba" :tongue3:

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you are having a ball in that yard. Wish I was there to see it. I would much rather hunt in 100 degree weather though. LOL That was a hot day.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going, MM! That yard is just full of interesting relics! Those folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with your gift. 8-)

WTG!
Nana
:hello:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Hummelcraft

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2012
FDR was the President that brought on the New Deal Acts providing jobs to pull the country out of the depression. It had two parts, the First New Deal, 1933-1934, and the Second New Deal, 1935-1938. Maybe the bust says the Our First "Deal" President and is referring to that. Just a thought...

Hummel

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the new information about the Confederate medal, I'm voting for BANNER. If I'm understanding Bramble's post correctly, there were only 200 members, thus ONLY 200 medals.
http://www.davidmaloney.com/gar/TheVeteran2003-2008/2003-2008Vol19No1.pdf

American Numismatic Society: Bronze and enamels Badge of Confederate Veterans Camp of N.Y., C.G. Braxmar, 47 Cortlandt St. NYC. 1967.226.1187

:)
Breezie

Breezie,
That's the way I read it too. Possibly only 200 of those medals?
Not sure if it's banner worthy, but I hope so. :thumbsup: That's two neat Confederate Vet related medals out of that yard so far.
Thanks for your vote.
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions