What's new

6 Finds from a German Field. Button, Pendant, ???

xsully777

Greenie
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
32
Golden Thread
0
Location
St. Paul
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I had an amazing day of detecting in Germany. Since I'm from the U.S. I was excited to dig up some things that are older than anything i've even come close to before. I usually shoot for coins, and found some good ones too, but I don't know much about buttons and other finds. I added a quarter and a 1 euro for size and scale. i've numbered the items 1 thru 6 on the pictures.

#1 a part of a bracelet (couldn't find the other piece) how old or what era?
#2 I think it is a dress hook??? is it? and again how old?
#3 Pendant which appears to be bronze due to its color and weight. How old or what era?
#4 Buckle How old?
#5 what the heck is it and how old?
#6 Button what and how old?

I am very interested in the history of these objects and I am so curious because we found coins along with them from world war 2 all the way to medieval times. Any and all help will be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5173.webp
    IMG_5173.webp
    404.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5172.webp
    IMG_5172.webp
    378.3 KB · Views: 114
# 5 looks like a galosh buckle .
9k=
images
 
Upvote 0
Your relic #6 is a brass 1-piece French Army 56th Infantry Regiment uniform button. It was used from the 1700s into the very-early-1800s. It has what button collectors call a "turret shank"... which came before the two-crossed wires "birdcage shank."

Being found in Germany, your button may have been worn by one of Napoleon's troops. ​
You can do some internet research to learn when the French 56th Infantry was present in that part of Germany.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy, Awesome. it was found in the eastern part of Germany, in Bavaria, so I wasn't expecting that. Now I've got some research to do. Thank you very much.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice finds! I can't ID anything for you, but I would love to see a picture of the coins as well.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a picture of a couple of the better ones. the square one we believe to be an Augsburg stadt heller. We are still trying to figure out what the round stamped one is. I also found many pfenning from 1856 through 1945.
Nice finds! I can't ID anything for you, but I would love to see a picture of the coins as well.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5140.webp
    IMG_5140.webp
    1 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The area where I found it is inside a triangle of three of the major Napoleonic war battles. Ulm, Jenna, and Austerlitz. So there is a good chance it was from Napoleon's Great army. Now I know the rush of finding such a relic. way cool.
Your relic #6 is a brass 1-piece French Army 56th Infantry Regiment uniform button. It was used from the 1700s into the very-early-1800s. It has what button collectors call a "turret shank"... which came before the two-crossed wires "birdcage shank."

Being found in Germany, your button may have been worn by one of Napoleon's troops. ​
You can do some internet research to learn when the French 56th Infantry was present in that part of Germany.
 
Upvote 0
4# I would say the buckle is most likely late 1600s.
 
Upvote 0
Would you have any idea what the buckle would have been used for?

Based on the size I would "knee buckle" for a man's breeches.
 
Upvote 0
Here's a photo for any folks here who do not know what a "clog clasp" is. You'll notice that the shoe is hand-crafted, not machine-made. and a type which is no longer made.
 

Attachments

  • shoebuckle_clog-clasp_on-shoe_TN_postedbyDCMatt_20171122.webp
    shoebuckle_clog-clasp_on-shoe_TN_postedbyDCMatt_20171122.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom