What's new

7,500 dimes, a few halves, and a suprise

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Had to spend some of the day running around, so I decided to stop at a few banks for halves, dimes, and whatever I may find. Wound up with $32 in clad halves and 3 boxes of dimes. On my way home, I had to stop at the grocery store, and while looking for a basket, I noticed a coinstar machine. I have checked many of these with no success, so when I looked in the reject tray, my eyes popped out and my heart fluttered. The tray was full! 43 quarters, 9 dimes, 20 nickles, and 15 pennies. None was old, but its still free money! Maybe I should toss it into my monthly MD finds for my next meeting...nah.

Once home, and after chores and dinner, I opened up the first box. About 605 of the coins were 2008p - nice n shiny. But I did manage one 1964 silver!

On the second box, I decided to do an experiment. I grabbed my handy digital scale, and weighed every roll, and sorted them by weight. I started with the lightest, and saved the heaviest for last. 49 rolls in, no silver, but on that last heavy roll a 1946 rolled out to greet me.

Tried weighing the third box as well, but was surprised to see a great variation in weight. up to 9/10ths of a gram difference between the lightest and heaviest. Hoping there was a ton of silver, I started light, and worked heavy. I noticed that instead of one silver in the entire box, that the heavier the roll, the more new 2008 the roll contained. This box was just like the first box - mostly new. But I did enjoy my attempt to CRH scientifically, and will still do so. Sure is fun :)

2 silver dimes and free change today, 3000 halves to hunt tomorrow, oh joy!
Happy huntin,
Anthony
 
Upvote 0
Thats some kinda Mythbusters way of checking rolls, great job on the silver!!! :thumbsup:
 
Interesting way to check out the rolls. Congratulations on the silver.
 
Nice score in the bargin bin! I trired weighing the rolls on halves, but it didn't work that well for me!
 
Narthoniel said:
Hello,


On the second box, I decided to do an experiment. I grabbed my handy digital scale, and weighed every roll, and sorted them by weight. I started with the lightest, and saved the heaviest for last. 49 rolls in, no silver, but on that last heavy roll a 1946 rolled out to greet me.

I guess what they say is correct. "Great minds think similar". I'm using this approach with all my Half rolls. If the roll weighs more than 226.0g, there must be a 90% er inside the roll. A clad roll would weigh between 224.3 to 225.8g. This will not help me to locate 40% ers. But I will be guaranted that I won't miss a 90% er. Edge search is not 100% sure. I found my fist 90% er in somebody's dump. That coin was covered with black crap and the edge was dark and the date was barely visible. I don't want me to make the same mistake when I scale up to large volume. I still go back to open every roll to after the 40% ers.

Plus you just double the fun of CRH by weighing rolls to cherrypick the 90% ers and then opening all them up for other stuff!!
 
The only downside to weighing is that a worn old silver will weigh less. I plan to open every roll, but for me, this just adds more fun :).
 
Very interesting!
Nice Score!
 
i always wanted to do that but don't fell like breaking out the old triple beam(ahhh lots of memories there) ;D.....too lazy
 
I use the force to look through the roll with out even oppening it. :evil7:
 
But I think you are using Elf Magic

Darth Walker
 
The quality control at the mint is dismal. :-\
Modern halves are one coin that you probably can't rely on when weighing. Pull one roll randomly from a box and look at the coins thickness. I have seen some that are half the thickness of others and that affects the weight. Since all coins now do not have silver the mint probably doesn't care.
 
mistergee said:
i always wanted to do that but don't fell like breaking out the old triple beam(ahhh lots of memories there) ;D.....too lazy




Ha, ditto on those triple beams ...hmmm some good old days 8)
 
I have wondered before if scanning the roll or box with a metal detector would work. My detector is a cheapy but some of the nicer ones should be able to discriminate the silver.

I would still open all of them though, for the misc. goodies.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom