7 HOUR HUNT TODAY ON NEW LAND...... TURNED OUT AWSUM !!!!!!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new place today after asking permission on Thursday I finally got there....

Started out very slow with just iron hits....junk.

I scouted out the lower end of the field towards the salt water....still nothing .

Then a local guy I know came down to see me in the field to see what I was up to. He is a big history buff...and just so happened to be one of the guys who helped clear the field years ago....

He pointed me towards the lower right hand section and said there was a old French Acadian basement there years ago.!!!

So away I went... and bang I hit these 2 cannonballs about 6 feet apart along with the other few things I got here all in about a 200 x 200 foot area.

The field is very big so I got a lot ground to cover still.

2013-09-07 15.50.56.jpg2013-09-07 15.55.07.jpg2013-09-07 15.55.17.jpg2013-09-07 15.55.25.jpg2013-09-07 15.55.57.jpg2013-09-07 15.56.24.jpg2013-09-07 15.56.40.jpg

I also had a nice old axe head that I dropped off to my fathers...he is gonna clean it up and put a handle in it .

I,ll either keep it or give it to the landowner as a ty.

When I asked for permission I told him I would give him 1st pick of what I got.....

I had a nice MUSKET BALL also... he said he would like to have that.... so I gave it to him....was my 1st musket ball I found !!!!!!!!!! ...boooo...lolol.

Also he wants the small cannonball..so I said I would clean it up for him and give it to him next time I go hunting there. I have another one exactly like it ..so all good.

Is ok thou as he owns a fair bit of land so good karma is always good.

Upvote 15
It seems that you managed to get a whole team of oxen shoes. A big congrats on the cannon balls, some wait years and never come across one and here you get two!

I've found a lot of artifacts around those shoes. Around here, they're generally near a stone wall. Found buttons and other items like buckles or bells. No silver coins yet but now that its cooler I can slow down some and take my time.

I've found a lot of artifacts around those shoes. Around here, they're generally near a stone wall. Found buttons and other items like buckles or bells. No silver coins yet but now that its cooler I can slow down some and take my time.

Ya..the field was surrounded by a stone wall..obv was a lot of traffic there at one time..also was a railroad went threw the middle of the property..and a early 1900 home that's gone now at the top of the field..haven,t looked there yet.

Went you start looking around where the house was,be careful digging. You might come across their dump area or privy. You might find some nice old bottles .

Went you start looking around where the house was,be careful digging. You might come across their dump area or privy. You might find some nice old bottles .

HAHA..I MIGHT FALL IN THE SHIATTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. ya I,ll watch for some hidden goodies.

Never get tired of those old cannonballs... trust me if your digging old sites, your musket ball collection will grow like mine, one at a time...also excellent advise from IH...

Never get tired of those old cannonballs... trust me if your digging old sites, your musket ball collection will grow like mine, one at a time...also excellent advise from IH...

YA.. you are right--now have 7 musket balls...found 5 at another site.

Have tried digging the low numbers --all I ever get is trash...junk pieces or iron/nails.

Didn,t find another cannonball--seems strange to find 2 within 6 feet of each other...and the other 6 acres 0

I would agree with you REBEL....but

I use the fisher f75 special ed.... when it says iron...its definitely iron and its a very sensitive powerful/deep machine.

I,d never find the good stuff if I dug all signals.

I guess its all depended on the area being searched and age of the area.

OK I'll join the debate, firstly congrats on the canonballs, I've only had tiny ones, Dad has the biggest & its only the size of your smaller one.

I totally agree with the numbers game, in fact I've always said on here to learn the sounds & tape over your VDU/VDI. It slows you up & it can't be trusted. My best weapon is speed of recovering the targets, then it doesn't matter so much when you carry off the field loads of junk.

I have learnt that 1 style or plan doesn't work; ie. dig everything or just the high tones or ....
Every field needs its own plan & it needs to be tailored to the conditions that you find. We all know some of the variables: time available, size, ploughed, grassed (never ploughed), grass (once ploughed), mineralisation, wet ground, dry ground etc...but if its infested with iron or other junk your not going to clear it in a day or a month. So you need to clear some at a time to do a proper job, if the field demands it. It might take years & some of our fields have taken 10+ to clear most signals but if you leave iron you will not only miss good finds made of iron as you indicate but you are also clueless of what its masking. This lesson for me was shown when I dug a big horse shoe, which is all I could heard & just to its side & nearly under it Dad dug a Gold Coin.
However, the tailoring is important, as I would not bother clearing rubbish from a field that had no history. I clear everything from the Iron Age or Roman Sites which are littered with large & small nails that hid Roman Bronze Coins for example.

Last edited:
way to go great finds and keep the land owner happy and you will be welcome back for many hunts thx for sharing

YA.. you are right--now have 7 musket balls...found 5 at another site.

Have tried digging the low numbers --all I ever get is trash...junk pieces or iron/nails.

Didn,t find another cannonball--seems strange to find 2 within 6 feet of each other...and the other 6 acres 0

Well if you have 6 acres to play on then I can promise you there are still some great finds to be made...Grid it from different angles...

I totally agree with the numbers game, in fact I've always said on here to learn the sounds & tape over your VDU/VDI. It slows you up & it can't be trusted. My best weapon is speed of recovering the targets, then it doesn't matter so much when you carry off the field loads of junk.

I have learnt that 1 style or plan doesn't work; ie. dig everything or just the high tones or ....
Every field needs its own plan & it needs to be tailored to the conditions that you find. We all know some of the variables: time available, size, ploughed, grassed (never ploughed), grass (once ploughed), mineralisation, wet ground, dry ground etc...but if its infested with iron or other junk your not going to clear it in a day or a month. So you need to clear some at a time to do a proper job, if the field demands it. It might take years & some of our fields have taken 10+ to clear most signals but if you leave iron you will not only miss good finds made of iron as you indicate but you are also clueless of what its masking. This lesson for me was shown when I dug a big horse shoe, which is all I could hear & just to its side & nearly under it Dad dug a Gold Coin.
However, the tailoring is important, as I would not bother clearing rubbish from a field that had no history. I clear everything from the Iron Age or Roman Sites which are littered with large & small nails that hid Roman Bronze Coins for example.

You're exactly right. No one technique works for everything. The tough thing is to know when a site is worth clearing and when it isn't. I have hauled away so much junk iron. I stopped recycling the cast iron when I came to LA, but in Kentucky I recycled Over A Ton of it. Ended up with around 3,000 lbs of cleared iron. Folks on Tnet laughed. I don't think that my finds list since I joined the forum back in 2006 has been anything to laugh at. ;) Every hunt I remove between 1 and 2 large buckets worth of scrap iron from our sites here. Simple reason is masking of big iron covering up other targets. You said it so well: that not only will you miss some good iron finds, but you will also never know what the iron is masking.

The key is to know when a site is worth it. And that is something that only experience and time spent digging will tell you. Fact is, if you don't remove it as you go, then you're not going to want to remove it later on, and you'll be leaving good finds behind that were either made of iron or masked by big iron.

P.S.--I also believe in numbers, but just in terms of keeping digging. More targets dug means more likelihood of digging something great. And in fact, the only way one won't have a shot at a find of a lifetime is if they give up and stop digging for good. The other thing is, to me, it doesn't matter who digs it. I am happy to see my buddy dig anything good, because that means it was out there to be found. As long as I know that great finds are still out there to be made, I'm going to keep trying to find them. :)

P.P.S--yes I agree about TID too. I dig fast and efficiently while others might swipe over a target two dozen times trying to decide what its ID numbers are. :D

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
The amount of time clearing all the iron from a site doesn't match up, it's wasted hunting time, how many times will you encounter a good find being masked by iron, and it's only a very large piece of iron that will mask a good target, small iron, the good targets will still show...at least on my machine anyway :laughing7:

SS

Well if you have 6 acres to play on then I can promise you there are still some great finds to be made...Grid it from different angles...

YES ..I,m certain there are good things there yet.

I have covered 2/3rds of the field so far....big problem I have is the field was bush hogged...which leaves 4-10 inches of grass and briers.

So frustrating.....I have only found 2 coins there so far...and there has gotta be many more than that.

Found 40+ oxen shoes..proves it was a high traffic area for the time period.

I know the lose in depth from the grass being high must be costing me those smaller targets.... like coins !!!!

Prolly have to wait for winter to kill the grass and get it to lay down.

Also ..I was there couple days ago after a heavy rain...there seemed to be many more targets than before.

I haven,t tried digging iron targets to clear the field..but may give it a try for a day to see what happens...but........if there isn,t many coins etc....then is clearing the iron out really gonna get me more goodies ?????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back