wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey y'all, I went to the house I found the silver quarter and found this military whistle. From what I understand, the US military police used these whistles. What makes it really cool is that someone carved "JON M" on the side. It still has the wood cork. Any info is appreciated

image-2643680471.jpg

image-696310212.jpg

image-756534256.jpg

image-3164849999.jpg

That is the pic of the carving

Upvote 8
Makes sense someone would want to carve their name on it. Busy barracks, lots of guys with identical whistles, no mistakes getting someone else's spit in your mouth!

It looks a lot like this one, called WWII, but not sure how easy it'd be to pin the exact era on something like this.
WWII WW2 US Army Military Police M P Army Officer's Brass Whistle | eBay

Nice find!

I found one with the same military marking on it at a WWII German POW site

I wouldn't polish it but definitely use vegetable oil, it helps remove the dirt. Awesome find though, ever did a research on the name?

I'm going to do that on Saturday

I got one of those, with the string and everything. Can't remember where I got it, but it's good to know there's more out there!
whistle.JPG

I have a whistle exactly like that. It was issued to my Dad during WWII. He wasn't an MP. He was with a quartermaster's group working supply logistics and then dismantling German armament factories after the end of hostilities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back