725 pounds from the Expressway Authority

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just inspected and bid on 725 LB of foreign and mutilated coins. Once a year they get rid of anything rejected by the toll machines. It looked just the same as all the stuff I detect at the beach. Coins, keys, washers, tokens, clad, and junk. I bid on it using the avg weight of beach finds. Did see a 1943 steel penny and had to toss it back in the bag. Could be anything in this lot of stuff. I'll find out on the 20th if I have the winning bid.
I expect other toll roads around the country must do this as well. It was not very well advertised.
Wish me luck.

Tek

Upvote 0

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of such a thing, interesting.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please let us know if you win, and make sure to post pics. I have heard of these auctions, and always wondered what good stuff would be in there. Mutilated coins can be sent off to the mint at par

HH
-GC

GAOldsman

Mar 10, 2011
Perry, GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please let us know if you win, and make sure to post pics. I have heard of these auctions, and always wondered what good stuff would be in there. Mutilated coins can be sent off to the mint at par

HH
-GC
X2 Good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't expect you to publicize your bid amount, But am curious, do they give bidders a general idea of what
they normally receive in bids ? or is this something you would need to research on your own,
or just give blind guess bids ?

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't expect you to publicize your bid amount, But am curious, do they give bidders a general idea of what
they normally receive in bids ? or is this something you would need to research on your own,

x2 ....... curious.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did some research and found some articles on it and a video - one article mentioned the last auction was in 2008 of 1,200lbs that went for $4,300 so $3.58 a pound. Sounds like a lot of fun if you've got the money and the time! Hope the OP wins this one, the only competition will come from pretty high rollers in the local area as the auction states you have to pay and pick up in person within 10 days!

HH,

$ilver$urfer:hello:

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The bids are opened in a public meeting but I do not know if they announce the $ amount of the bids or just the winner. I based my bid on a SWAG where at worst I would break even. If you won this one time you would know for future bids what the actual per LB worth should be and you could bid accordingly. Most do not inspect the material, just fax the bid in. They require payment in ten days and removal of the material in 30.

Last edited:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't it be cool if Coinstar did that with all the coins that were rejected internally? I know for a fact they can't throw Ike dollars into the external reject tray, so it goes into the internal reject box under the counter wheel.

If you had the money that kinda deal would be neat since there are foreign coins out there that have silver in them. Who knows? I have found some off stuff just checking the garbage by the coinstars.

Sincerely,
Garoulady

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so my question would be where can I turn in all this foreign money? I have about 60 bucks in canadian change that I got from the machines here in TN. Been to every bank around and they only take paper money for exchange.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok so my question would be where can I turn in all this foreign money? I have about 60 bucks in canadian change that I got from the machines here in TN. Been to every bank around and they only take paper money for exchange.

List
it
on
Craigslist.

There are precious metal shops that may buy it but be warned of commission, and airport's have currency exchanges.

Sirreckless619

Apr 18, 2012
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I sold mine on eBay.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the Craigslist or eBay option.
there are plenty of old & especially young, new collectors out there who would
be proud to call them theirs.
and the price will be better since buyers there don't subtract 10% of their paying price :tongue3:

of course I hear you can use them on the turnpike for tolls :laughing7:

Last edited:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other

and check the dates. Older Canadian coinage could be up to 80% silver, mainly in the dimes and quarters. Bring it to michigan. If its under a dollar face value we accept it as such. Get plenty of it up here, LOL.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread