8 Reales 1882 Opinions Wanted! Legit or Fake???

E

el_gral

Hi everyone! First of all im a newbie at coin collecting and just getting into the hobby, I purchased a Mexican 8 Reales 1882 Silver Coin for about $23.00 and i was content with my purchase but recently ive been reading alot about all these scams, frauds, & fake coins. Which frankly has made me a little worried about my coin so I would greatly appreciate it if all you fellow coin collectors could take a look at the coin and give me your opinions. I know theres only so much you can tell from a picture but nevertheless i would like to know your thoughts.

Also i have read that a surefire way of determining wheter one of these coins is a fake is by finding out the weight of the coin, is this true? And what should this coin weigh?

Thank You very much, and thanks for taking a look at this coin.

Attachments

• front natural.JPG
    front natural.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 2,070
  • back natural.JPG
    back natural.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,620
  • rimm.JPG
    rimm.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,314
  • rimm2.JPG
    rimm2.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,023

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but it looks real.That particular coin was not rare, so I wouldn't think it would be counterfeited for that reason,the value is about right I would think.They did make "replicas" though.If you have a loupe or a magnifying glass,take a look on the reverse between the eagles wing and Mexicana,if it is a "replica" coin,you may see remnants of the word "copy" or filing or buff marks from it being removed.Also, it should weigh very close to 27.468 grams I believe.I hope it's a real reale,if not at least you didn't lose that much for a lesson learned.Good luck.Here's a photo of a real one with counterstamps.

Attachments

• 1882 peso obv..jpg
    1882 peso obv..jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,813
  • 1882 peso rev..jpg
    1882 peso rev..jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,462

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way,welcome to the treasurenet forum.This is a great place to discuss just about anything relating to metal detecting,treasure hunting or anything collectible,from coins to antique furniture and everything in between.Shoot,there's even a religion and politics section.Anyway welcome,there's a lot of good folks on here and a few jokers,but for the most part everyone's harmless and jovial.Looking forward to your posts. :) -diggummup

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know, look at how uneven your coin is, in respect to it's roundness. It seems squished on the sides in a couple of places. Plus there is some kind of marking between the words on the back, and yours doesn't have that marking that I can see.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djui5 said:
I don't know, look at how uneven your coin is, in respect to it's roundness. It seems squished on the sides in a couple of places. Plus there is some kind of marking between the words on the back, and yours doesn't have that marking that I can see.
??? The markings between the wording on the example I showed are counterstamps done by someone after minting.Is that what your referring to?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah, haha!

So, anyway, it looks real to me :)

D

dlsharp5

I found something similar in a mixed bag of foreign coins. It was a 1882, 8 reals Mexican coin, silver in color. Well Krauss catalog said it was silver. Since then, I've researched on ebay and found listings for fake reals. The best way to tell is see if it will stick to a magnet. We all know silver isn't magnetized.... mine stuck to the magnet >:( Luckily I didn't give much for the lot. Still a conversation piece worth a few bucks anyway...

Dave

D

dlsharp5

What made someone go th the trouble of counterfeiting these coins... guess it was worth it back in the 1800's.
Also, mine has the edge like a half dollar... yours looks more "layered"..

Dave

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely looks real.

The key is the reeding on the edge. Here are some examples from a 1963 Book "The Coins of Mexico 1536-1963" by Neil Utberg.

Yours matches with illustration# 14 (as it should).

Enjoy,

Mike

Attachments

• MexReeding2.jpg
    MexReeding2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,175
OP
OP
E

el_gral

Thank You very much! Gollum those illustrations are very helpful, ill actually keep those for future reference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions