80s skateboard

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up at a flea market this weekend for $15 1980s powell peralta skateboard I believe the style is called Bones and you can see in the picture the old sticker that was on the board or somebody tried to refinish the board and anybody can identify the trucks would be greatly prescient it thanks

Has anyone been having troubles uploading pictures it only allows me to do oneat a time

Attachments

• image-2069967827.jpg
    image-2069967827.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 191
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pic

Attachments

• image-451151924.jpg
    image-451151924.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more

Attachments

• image-1537146090.jpg
    image-1537146090.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 139

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pretty sure that is late 80s based on the width of that board. Nice. The only real trucks I remember are Independent and they are still in business since I took my 11 year old daughter to the mall to buy a board 2 weeks ago.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a re-issue of that board.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pow...SG0YKoBw&ved=0CBoQsxg#spd=4099845056484745081

Trucks in the 80s would have been Independent or Gullwings. I don't remember A skull and cross bone mark on trucks from the 80s, but there may have been.

What type of wheels are on it? Kryptonics was a very common type then.

Cool board...those wheels are big, soft, and fast. Fun for cruising.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no name on the wheels I believe this is an original board not a re-issue going to try to find a skate shop around me to see if they could tell me what style trucks those are and maybe get the board refinish the proper way if it's worth it thanks for all your replies

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that sucks the graphic was jacked up.

I skateboarded for about 18 years and gave it up when I moved to Texas in 2008.

the board is a Ray "Bones" Rodriguez Board from the late 80s

the Trucks are Thunder Trucks, and I didnt see the wheels. But im sure they are some brand wheel, back then they didnt have a bunch of cheap crap like now

The board is not a reissue, not with those old trucks on them

Whats odd about it is, Skateboards didn't have Sticker Graphics, they were all screen printed.

So i don't know what the deal is with that

Really cool find thou.

I still have a few old skateboards from the mid 80's that I'm keeping for collecting

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
^Thanks for the info! I gave up skating when I moved from Texas to Ohio in '94. But I do it every now and then on my daughter's board and have entertained her once or twice by falling HARD into the street and driveway! The OP has an awesome board and I WISHED I had thought about saving my boards! The really good ones were over $100 even back then!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^Thanks for the info! I gave up skating when I moved from Texas to Ohio in '94. But I do it every now and then on my daughter's board and have entertained her once or twice by falling HARD into the street and driveway! The OP has an awesome board and I WISHED I had thought about saving my boards! The really good ones were over $100 even back then!

The OP's original description, and your experiences, brought back some deep memories of skating board surfing.... In the early 1960's, I built my first skateboard from a rough fencing plank and the front and rear halves of the old steel roller skates that clamped on the bottom of your leather shoes and tighten with a skate key... In his dry land farm shop, my dad had a flexible cable hooked on the end of a 1/2 hp. old evaporative cooler motor and then a wire wheel brush on the other. I took the brush and removed all the rough splintery surface from both sides of the fencing plank that I cut to shape with a dozen blades of a hand coping saw and a coarse file. The grain pattern came in perfect center on the best side of the board to reveal of a 3" wide and 5" long shape of a candle flame....

The small town's local bank had just moved into their new building that had two new things the old main street stores didn't have: 1. A brand new continuously poured sidewalk 12' wide and the length of a tennis court with a flowing dip where it went in front of the Volunteer Fire House. Even with the steel roller skate wheels, the ride was silk smooth and lasted long enough to feel the air passing your face. 2. The bank's "modern" architecture had a plate glass front. From 8' high, it ran down to within an inch above the new sidewalk.

Across from the bank was one of 3 "mom & pop" grocery stores with their old meat counter where purchases were weighed on public scales, wrapped in white butcher-paper, and tied with cotton string. The owner knew my folks and grandparents. One Saturday after the bank closed, the owner came out of his store, stood and watched several of us using the new sidewalk, and took a look at my skateboard. He said, "I've got two grandchildren. Could you make one of these for each one of them if I pay you?"

I floated home with the pride of little kid's first accomplishment!! And, one that was going to make me some money! With one new skateboard painted fire engine red, and the other painted royal blue, I delivered them a few weeks later. Soon, after this accomplishment, the bank and the local editor of the small town newspaper who's printing office was across the street from the bank, and next door to the grocery store, were stressed-out seeing half a dozen kids skating so close to the plate glass wall.. Even though a loud skateboard-meets-plate glass bang could be heard now and then, nothing ever broke. But, they soon put out a notice that skateboarding in front of the bank's large plate glass front was "Off Limits" So, back to the short runs on the local public school campus's concrete tennis court halves and the tree-root-humps of cracked old residential street sidewalks.....

Thanks for the memories,

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skateboarding and me never did mix too well. I could ride a wheelie around the block on my Schwinn Scrambler though. :laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You got that right, I remember when I was in 5th grade (1990) and went to get my first board, My parents about lost their minds when they saw that it was about 150 bucks for a complete..lol...So they only got me the Deck and some awesome Spitfire wheels, I had a friend sell me his used trucks...I sure do miss them days. I actually got sponsered early on, and thats when I turned into the cocky jerk I am now..lol

But as for this board he has here, i would see it easliey selling for 100 bucks. I just looked and saw someone listed some "vintage" Thunder trucks for 100/pair

This board might be worth more in pieces

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's pictures of the other wheels I got with the board and pictures of the wheels on the board

Attachments

• image-549595884.jpg
    image-549595884.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the multiple post it only allows me to upload one picture at a timeI have another board by Lance mountainit's a little worse off but they do bring back some memories when I used to skate in the 80s and early 90s

Attachments

• image-3832529868.jpg
    image-3832529868.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 110

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hosoi as is Christian Hosoi. Wheels are old.

Skating is the most fun I ever had in my life. I'm approaching 40 but with about an hour of practice can still Ollie a trash can on its side....oh the good old days...lol

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's pictures of the other wheels I got with the board and pictures of the wheels on the board
AWESOME! I mean "Rad!!" I LOVED HOSOIs! I would be shocked if those don't sell for a nice profit. Christian Hosoi, Natas Kaupus, and that young kid, what's his name…Tony Hawk. Those were the days. I never mastered an ollie, although my daughter can(I'm secretly jealous). If you list those wheels, let me us know!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah, Hosoi Rockets were the first real wheels I bought for my cheap Veraflex(?) board. I promptly tried them out on a hill I had mastered on that supermarket board. Needless to say, I wiped out and broke my knee. Had to have surgery and it delayed my Air Force Reserve physical scheduled for he next day. Six months later, the military decided my knee surgery along with a history of asthma was a combination they did not want! Man! This thread brings back lots of memories! Cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread