Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I decided i would really put the 10 x 12 SEF coil to the test today. I took it to 3 small parks that I have pounded into submission with the 1050 coil...just to see how good it really is. Over the last few weeks I have used the SEF and Minelab pro coils quite a few times doing some testing.....but always ended going back to the 1050 as a security blanket because of the amount of silver found with it. This time I took the training wheels off and left it at home....deciding to put 100% faith in the SEF coil. :thumbsup:
Each and every coin I found over the next 9 hours was 8" to 10" deep...except for one 11"er ...and many were on edge. :thumbsup: While I did have some nice solid signals...well over 50% of them were faint chirps that I decided to further investigate. At these beat up sites...you either go very slow...and pay close attention to all deep chirps...or you go home with an empty pouch. ;D
The first park I visited is a place where dimes are nearly out of reach. I figure if I'm finding quarters at 10"..then the smaller coins are probably going to be almost out of reach. ???
It takes something different or special for me to gain true confidence in a coil. True I have found lots of deep silver with the SEF coil over the last 6 weeks or so...but as I said...always went back to the 1050 for some reason. I had a few different things happen today that really opened my eyes to the SEF. :tongue3:
The first thing was a silver quarter at 9" in a spot that I thoroughly pounded just last week with the 1050 coil. It was a nice solid signal but the depth caused the cursor to bounce along the top and never really locked in the right corner. However...the signal was dead on. I dug down and realized my plug was off because I now hit the target with the probe at the far corner of the hole. Out popped the washington quarter from 9" down on edge. :thumbsup:
About 2 hours later....same thing....got a deep sweet sounding hit and the cursor fluttered accross the top. It never went towards iron...but never went to silver either. It just kind of fluttered around the top center. Dug down about 10" and again...the probe located it on the side/bottom of the hole. Out popped the no date slq from 10" down straight on edge. :thumbsup: WOW...now I'm impressed...because I could no longer get even a peep here with my 1050 coil. :wink:
I continued on and popped out about 7 wheaties as well.
Talk about an eye opener...9 coins from an area that no longer gives a sound when using the 1050 coil! :thumbsup:
Site #2 is a park niterider_58 took me to a year or so ago. It stopped producing hardly anything for him many months ago..but we pulled some goodies out of there with our 1050 coils recently. We hadn't gone there for a few weeks because finally the 1050 coil stopped producing as well...but I wanted to give it a try with the SEF. Results after 3 hours there???....Two mercs...a roosey...and a bunch more wheaties. :thumbsup:
Site #3 is another park Phil and I have pounded into submission. The only coins left are 10"+ deepies and we have both found memorials this deep there too. Results after 3 hours here??....a 10" deep silver quarter....an 11" deep wheatie... a 9" deep merc straight on edge....a tiny sterling insignia ring...and a bunch more wheaties.
I called Phil over on the 11" deep wheatie...and let's just say he was more than impressed with the signal the SEF gave me. ::) I also called him over on the 9" deep merc on edge...and again he was more than impressed when I raised the SEF coil 2" off the ground...and it still sounded pretty sweet. :thumbsup: I honestly thought it was a deep wheatie the way the cursor was dancing around the clad dime area. Once we got the plug dug...we located the signal at the bottom side of the hole on edge. I dug out the little clod...and out popped a 1937 merc. We were both very impressed. Let's just say...I'm almost certain he will be buying a 10 x 12 SEF coil very soon to work alongside his pro coil..after seeing it work for me. ;D
My coin totals for the 9 hour day from 3 pounded to death parks that both Phil and I have hit numerous times with our 1050 coils: 24 Wheaties....1 Roosey...3 Mercs...2 silver washington quarters...1 standing Liberty quarter..and a tiny sterling insignia ring with the letter S on it. :thumbsup: ;D
I still love my 1050 coil..and it will always have a place in my arsenal. It is very easy to swing...just glides smoothly along the ground. ...and for lack of a better way to say it...JUST FINDS STUFF. If theres no stubble though..and the grass isn't too tall...the SEF coil will be on my SE...just ask Phil.

I will say again...I'm impressed with the Minelab pro coil too. I found some nice stuff while using the pro coil a few days ago when doing some multi coil testing. It's also light...light...light.....and goes deep...it's a winner...so I'll be using it quite a bit too. ;D :thumbsup:
Today though...my time was devoted to really testing out the 10 x 12 SEF...and it absolutely produced deep coins from sites Phil and I have previously pounded with the 1050 coil. :thumbsup:
Now if we could only get some RAIN. I love hunting in moist conditions and seem to get my best depth and signals in wet soil. I do get a little more falsing...but the depth and seemingly better signals more than make up for it to me. I choose to continue to run my gain high even if I get a little falsing...because I want to hear those deep chirps as best as I can. What I will do at times is drop the sensitivity just a little which makes the falsing minimal...but with the high gain...still allows me to hear the deep silver hits.

Attachments

• coins87.jpg
    coins87.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,710
Upvote 0

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Young grasshopper you are now one with your detector and coil ! :notworthy:

Now you must walk on rice paper swinging the coil and leave no traces !

S.F. you are the king :icon_king: when it comes to that deep DEEP silver !! I will not be surprised when you dig a cap bust dime just above a huge underground oil reservoir !

Great Coin Finds ! :headbang:

Derek :icon_study:

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are the man silverfreak :headbang: great finds :thumbsup: and i cant wait till i get my pro coil ! hope it does as well as the SEF :wink: congrats silverfreak :thumbsup:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Buddy. You and Fred are tearing it up. Wish we could hunt with you two again sometime before it get to cold. HH :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RONC(OR) said:
Bryce Nice finds and a Good evaluation on the Sef I haven't tried it yet but I also like the pro coil nice and light pinpoints great and goes deep seems to run stable also congrats on the silver HH RonC
Thanks Ron. Yep...the pro coil is a winner too :thumbsup:

BandB1 said:
Excellent Finds Wow!

I just started(july 12) and am using a bounty hunter lonestar. Recently got some good finds, today I
dug a 1910 wheatie at about 6-7 inches, unusual yes( that deep for me.)

Good luck,
HH.
Thanks for responding. I hope you continue to pull some deepies out buddy.

Ricardo_NY1 said:
Sounds like you and that coil are the silver extraction team Bryce! Congrats and thanks for a very well documented post/hunts.

Best,
Ricardo
Thanks Ricardo. I really like it after spending more time on it. The pro coil and this coil together for me....yippee :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maui Mike said:
WTG! Looks like you got that bugger " Nailed!".. keep up the Action! shaka Mikey :thumbsup:
Thanks Mike. I wish all hunts were like that...but unfortunately they aren't. I'll keep pluggin' along.

TreasureFiend said:
Wow bud, thats amazing!!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Fiend.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
I enjoy reading posts like this, but they always leave me wondering: "What am I leaving, or have I left, in the ground?" Good work!
Thanks HD. We never get it all...but it sure is fun tryin' isn't it

civilman1 said:
I'd love to say it's all down hill from here Bryce but I'm not.....We know how that goes :wink: Beautiful dig's Buddy....Definetley putting a hurtin' on the Silver population.Congrat's on some killer dig's :thumbsup:
Thanks Civ. I wish all hunts would be like this one...but it "ain't" gonna' happen. It is definately fun though...to go to beat up places and having the cha;llenge of popping walked over deepies out. Sometimes I get nothin' ;D

Indianhead Jones said:
Hey, Bryce...if this is what you do at POUNDED parks in DRY weather....I can't imagine what you come up with at sites that haven't seen a detector! Congratulations on beautiful deep finds!! :thumbsup:

Larry
Thanks Larry. I wouldn't know what to do at a site that hadn't been hammered. All the places I hunt have been beat up since the late 70's :D

Digginman said:
WOW, Bryce, you just keep doing it. Excellent finds, a great post......more, more more!!!

Congrats!!

DM
Thanks DM. How have you been buddy?

Moonshadow said:
Very nice job SF! Your hard work and dedication are really paying off! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.........Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

HH,
Moon
Thanks Moon. I appreciate the kind words.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek752 said:
Young grasshopper you are now one with your detector and coil ! :notworthy:

Now you must walk on rice paper swinging the coil and leave no traces !

S.F. you are the king :icon_king: when it comes to that deep DEEP silver !! I will not be surprised when you dig a cap bust dime just above a huge underground oil reservoir !

Great Coin Finds ! :headbang:

Derek :icon_study:
;D Thanks Derek...Grasshopper has some mighty sore leg and shoulder joints. I don't think I could even walk on the rice paper...let alone leave no traces :D

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
camb1 said:
WTG Buddy. You and Fred are tearing it up. Wish we could hunt with you two again sometime before it get to cold. HH :thumbsup:
Thanks camb1

weasel606 said:
you are the man silverfreak :headbang: great finds :thumbsup: and i cant wait till i get my pro coil ! hope it does as well as the SEF :wink: congrats silverfreak :thumbsup:
Thanks weasel. The pro coil is a winner....I use it too :thumbsup: You'll like it.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW man! Very impressive! That's awesome that you're digging such deep targets! SWEET!!!!!

huntedoutnoway

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for another excellent post with some nice finds and great information. I'll have to try diggin more iffy type hits...but make sure they repeat.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Back to finding SLQ's without dates. :wink: ;D Well at least you are finding SLQs! Very nice haul.

Have you ever tried the 15" WOT coil? How does it compare to the 10x12 SEF coil?

Bob

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huntedoutnoway said:
Thanks for another excellent post with some nice finds and great information. I'll have to try diggin more iffy type hits...but make sure they repeat.

Thanks H.O.N...glad you liked the post

oddcoins said:
WOW man! Very impressive! That's awesome that you're digging such deep targets! SWEET!!!!!
Thanks O.C.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Back to finding SLQ's without dates. :wink: ;D Well at least you are finding SLQs! Very nice haul.

Have you ever tried the 15" WOT coil? How does it compare to the 10x12 SEF coil?

Bob
;D Thanks Bob..and yep...back to the baby's butt smooth SLQ's :D I figured as much...but I'm used to it ::)
As for the wot coil....I didn't like it for my hunting style. A lot of people swear by it...but it wasn't for me. The 10 x 12 coil is very hot...just like the new minelab pro coil. It's also rock stable...and very deep. It hits and separates like a 5" coil...but gives the depth of a larger coil.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Nice haul at the pounded parks. You are amazing.
Chris
Thanks Chris. I wish I had some older ground to cover...but it's very sparse around here. There is the occasional cabin in the woods...but it's such a pain to try and get permission to hunt it.

wyattrr said:
Wow...Nice Scores yet again. Congrats on the SLQ. :thumbsup:
Thanks wyattrr. Back to the "no daters". I just hope it isn't another 30 years before I find 1 more with a date ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions