9 Phoenix buttons, an 1814 two reale, and an 1847 dime.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Got out with 2 good friends a few weeks ago. To one of our "back pocket sites". We had done some additional research on this particular location , that prompted us to hike a different direction this time. And it paid off with some fun finds !
They have allowed me to pool all our finds for a single show & tell post. And will presumably be chiming in to claim their bragging rights
kingdances.gif

We found 37 buttons between the 3 of us. Gilt buttons, plain flat buttons, and : 9 Phoenix buttons. Especially fitting timing for this article and chart I just got finished :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rX9...ew?ts=6182e46f

Mike from southern CA kicked Dave & I's behinds : With 5 of the Phoenix buttons, and a beautiful 1814 two Reale ! And one of his phoenix buttons was the rare and coveted small #1 ball button. Which, you can see on the chart, is extremely rare. As of this moment, I think his would be the 3rd one in any collector's hands. As for the #'s on his other 4 buttons, I know this photo is too grainy to see. But he can chime in with better pix or #'s for those.

I got 3 phoenix buttons. All small type I style I : #14, #28, and #29.

Dave got a small type I style I #9 Phoenix button. And he also got his first seated coin: 1847 seated dime ! Congratz on becoming a member of the exclusive and elite seated dime club Dave
smile.gif

Also pictured is our collective pile of cliff-hanger age indicators. Like: lots of Green black-smithed period copper. That all gave perfect penny/dime/quarter signals, that kept us on the edge of our seats with each dig. Doh !
cool3.gif
Pistol balls, rimfire shells, and various other age indicators. Any ID's welcome.

thanx for coming along on our hunt !

Attachments

• mike1.jpg
    mike1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 136
  • mike2.jpg
    mike2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 95
  • mike4.jpg
    mike4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 93
  • mike3.jpg
    mike3.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 91
  • mike 1.jpg
    mike 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 91
  • mike 2.jpg
    mike 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 90
  • tom2.jpg
    tom2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 79
  • tom1 10-16-21.jpg
    tom1 10-16-21.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 72
  • tom3.jpg
    tom3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 70
  • tom4.jpg
    tom4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 67
  • tom5.jpg
    tom5.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Dave 1.jpg
    Dave 1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Dave 2.jpg
    Dave 2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Dave 3.jpg
    Dave 3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Dave 4.jpg
    Dave 4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 32
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Oh, and if this pesky Mike fellow tries to come on and say that I had previously swung over the exact spot where that rare ball button came from : Don't believe him ! I deny ever having said that now :tongue3:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are great buttons. Beautiful silver. Congrats to you and your friends.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Great save on the 2 Reales.
Yours was minted in Lima, Peru.
The engravers initials J P stand for:
Engraver: Juan Martínez de Roxas (for the obverse engraver)
Engraver: Pablo Cano Melgarejo (for the reverse engraver)
Don...

Great sleuthing work as usual Don . Thanx !

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tom you guys in California have all the luck. Great sites with Spanish silver, gold coins, Phoenix buttons just jumping out of the ground. Us poor slobs on the east coast, especially in MA, can only dream of hunts like that.

Great finds by the way.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I Like your 1847 Liberty Seated Dime
I think it might be an unknown version
I noticed the date is in the bottom of the Clothing / Drape/ No Space
Please keep us informed
Thanks for Sharing
goldnugget / North Carolina

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out with 2 good friends a few weeks ago. To one of our "back pocket sites". We had done some additional research on this particular location , that prompted us to hike a different direction this time. And it paid off with some fun finds !
They have allowed me to pool all our finds for a single show & tell post. And will presumably be chiming in to claim their bragging rights
kingdances.gif

We found 37 buttons between the 3 of us. Gilt buttons, plain flat buttons, and : 9 Phoenix buttons. Especially fitting timing for this article and chart I just got finished :

Mike from southern CA kicked Dave & I's behinds : With 5 of the Phoenix buttons, and a beautiful 1814 two Reale ! And one of his phoenix buttons was the rare and coveted small #1 ball button. Which, you can see on the chart, is extremely rare. As of this moment, I think his would be the 3rd one in any collector's hands. As for the #'s on his other 4 buttons, I know this photo is too grainy to see. But he can chime in with better pix or #'s for those.

Dave got a small type I style I #9 Phoenix button. And he also got his first seated coin: 1847 seated dime ! Congratz on becoming a member of the exclusive and elite seated dime club Dave
smile.gif

Also pictured is our collective pile of cliff-hanger age indicators. Like: lots of Green black-smithed period copper. That all gave perfect penny/dime/quarter signals, that kept us on the edge of our seats with each dig. Doh !
cool3.gif
Pistol balls, rimfire shells, and various other age indicators. Any ID's welcome.

All I can say is wow!

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I Like your 1847 Liberty Seated Dime
I think it might be an unknown version
I noticed the date is in the bottom of the Clothing / Drape/ No Space
Please keep us informed
Thanks for Sharing
goldnugget / North Carolina

goldnugget, Funny you should mention that ! (And you have a GOOD EYE to spot that !!) Because someone on FB also noticed that too, and brought it to our attention.

You're right : The date "1847" inexplicably overlaps the bottom part of liberty's skirt. Hmmmm. I'm not a numismatist, so do tell : What does this mean ?

Or Any other coin numismatist buffs out there that can interpret this ? Ie.: Does this add any sort of value ?

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I don't know if we are allowed to link to a Coin Community Forum on the internet, Find the 3 words in this reply and submit it to the Correct topic

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I don't know if we are allowed to link to a Coin Community Forum on the internet, Find the 3 words in this reply and submit it to the Correct topic

Do you mean this link, that someone else just brought to my attention ? :

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kingdances.gif

smile.gif

cool3.gif

Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

RichsEquinox

Jan 20, 2021
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, sounds like the three of you had a great time. Really nice assortment of finds, I like the 1814 Reale.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While almost everyone else is oohing and aahing over the coins, I am drooling over the Phoenix buttons! I know I will never find one here in south Georgia.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a hunt by you guys. I think I would call that a "top pocket" site instead of a "back pocket" site :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread