9000 yr old Mastadon tooth found in Montgomery, Al..

Pistolero

Sep 27, 2005
Millbrook, Al.
Hello all,
A couple of years ago my sons and I were hiking along the rocky creek bed of upper Catoma Creek near where it crosses Norman Bridge Rd in Montgomery, Al.. My son tapped on something under about four inches of water with a stick and tugged at it and pulled up a huge tooth. I took it to AUM (Auburn Univ. at Montgomery) and showed it to an archeologist. He showed me pics and showed me that it ws the upper rear molar of a Mastodon, possibly 9000 yrs old. The way my son pulled it up was like maybe the skull is under there too. But we never went back. Not knowing how to take care of such a thing it dried out without us realizing it and my nephew dropped it and broke it. I was disgusted.

I just thought some of y'all might find that interesting. I wonder what it was worth before it broke in half?
Take care,
Pistolero
Millbrook, Al.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Pistolero! That had to be a bad day... :'(

Got a picture of it you could post?

Nana ;)

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Yes a picture would be great.

Here's a search I did on Ebay for "Mammoth Tooth":

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...action=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

This will give you some idea what they sell for. I would guess a specimen in good condition should go for around $100-200, depending on size. Btw, you should be able to glue that back together with SuperGlue. I do it all the time with fossils and it's what many pros use on dinosaur bones.

Richard

OP
OP
P

Pistolero

Sep 27, 2005
Millbrook, Al.
Hello again. Thanks for answering my post about the tooth. No I don't have a pic of it but we do have a digital camara so maybe I will take one here fore long.

You know what was strange about that tooth? It was not a fossil in that it had turned to stone or something. The archeologist said it was an actual tooth, with enamal showing, etc.. Heck, it still had green grass stains on the surface when we first got it up!

As far as glueing it back together, I might try that. The tooth part, the part with the enamal, etc, is only broken in half. But that big black root, which we thought was a Rhino horn at first, sort of shattered. But I will see what we can do.
Take care,
Pistolero

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread