Large Brachiopod?

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I found this large shell this weekend:

60-1.ol.s9.hugeshell1.jpg

The coloration is due to a light coating of Vinac I applied to protect the fossil and bring out the detail.

Problem is, I'm not sure if the thing is a brachiopod or a bivalve. I'm leaning towards a brachiopod, possibly Pentamerida although I don't think they grew this large. Any ideas?

Richard

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
well Richard your guess is as good as mine. My guess would be a bi-valve. You know a lot of professors spend their lives studying these things. There should be a fossil report on brachs or clams on that time period. Any geology department could tell you where to look not to mention the "old geezer" invertebrate paleontologists hanging around that could help you.

George

OP
OP
futzman

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
bakergeol said:
well Richard your guess is as good as mine. My guess would be a bi-valve. You? know a lot of professors spend their lives studying these things. There should be a fossil report on brachs or clams on that time period. Any geology department could tell you where to look not to mention the "old geezer" invertebrate paleontologists hanging around that could help you.

George

I actually own most of the volumes of the "Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology" so I'm going to spend some more time browsing the volumes before I take a trip down to TU and hit someone up at the geology department. I also know a guy at the local rock club who might know, so I'll let him take a look at the next meeting.

Richard

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Richard!

Nana ;)