What's new

.925 question

savant365

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Messages
3,941
Reaction score
72
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Last night my girlfriend noticed that her ring, marked .925, looked like it was starting to peel on the inside. I looked and sure enough it was. It doesn't seem to be plated it just looks like the silver is coming apart. Has anyone had this happen before? I'm just curious because i didn't think sterling was supposed to do that.

Charlie
 
its either 100% bogus or 925 sterling "plated" item from the sounds of it.--note * to prevent tarnishing some "sterling silver" items have a "clear coat type finish" applied to them them.--it might be the coating thats "peeling"
 
I wish I could post a pic, my camera died, It almost looks like it might be plated on the inside but not the outside. I guess it could be fake but I don't think so. It rings up as silver on my detector, the junk rings I have ring up like a penny though. I gets a good solid high tone. It's weird, I've never seen silver do it before.
 
I have done some silver work in the past and what it sounds like is a bad soider job. The circle that forms the ring is usually joined with the edges at an angle. if the solder job was lacking in quality, it would appear to be peeling.
​
 
Could be a Rodium plating to keep the silver from tarnishing........NGE
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom