A. Benedict Waterbury button

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I found this button in my dad's yard in upstate NY. The research I did indicates to me that it's from 1823 - 1829, but looking fdor confirmation. Also wondering what it may have come from. Also my dad is very curious about what the button was from/time period.
The front is plain and flat. The back reads. A. Benedict, Waterbury. Inner portion reads Extra Rich
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• dadshousebuttonobv.jpg
    dadshousebuttonobv.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 943
  • dadshousebuttonrev.jpg
    dadshousebuttonrev.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 899

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
azmetaldetector said:
The research I did indicates to me that it's from 1823 - 1829, but looking fdor confirmation. Also wondering what it may have come from.

Your date range for the button is exactly right. In 1823 Aaron Benedict, along with several partners, founded the Waterbury, CT firm which operated under the name A. Benedict until 1829, when it became Benedict & Coe; 1834-43, Benedict & Burnham; 1843-49, Benedict & Burnham Mfgr. Co. In 1849 the button production division began operating as a separate entity, becoming the Waterbury Button Co.

The button is a plain-faced gilt ("Extra Rich" is a quality mark referring to the gilt finish) and was made for civilian usage— coat, cuff, or vest, depending on the size. Other quality marks used in conjunction with the A. Benedict name include "Treble Gilt," "Warranted," and "Warranted First Quality."

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
azmetaldetector said:
Sorry to be ignorant...what is 'Gilt'?

"Gilt" means a coating/plating of gold or golden-colored alloy. Brass buttons were common gilt so that their finish remained bright.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread