• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,217

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where did you find them ? Are they rock or some kind of metal?

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
irbaddadjoe said:
Look like fossilized bird eggs but some are quartz and they all have holes drilled in one end . what are they, and who drilled them and why? a few pics of some other finds. thanks for any opinions.

If they were made of lead I would say they were fishing sinkers. If they are made of stone I suppose they could still be somekind of weight.

John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
They seem to be stone or petrified and some are seem to be quartz. Heres a couple of pics magnified 60X of the hole and side,

Attachments

• egg5.jpg
    egg5.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • egg6.jpg
    egg6.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,153
  • egg4.jpg
    egg4.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,135
Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
They are only drilled on one end . I took a tooth pick and stuck in the ones that where pretty much clear and it went in about 1/8 inch. If needed I can post more pictures of what parts of these you need . I have scope that I can magnify up to 200x but its hard seeing what your looking at not actually seeing whats being magnified. I appreciate ya'lls help in figuring these.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
I found 2 dozen of them in a wash out in the open without digging around. There is no telling how many of these there may be buried. I thought I would try to figure out what they are then go see if I can find more.

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They could very well be the heads on stick pins from your description of the holes depth. far out idea, but thats what comes to mind first. Hat pins etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
They seem kinda of heavy for a stick but I guess everything was quite heavy back when. One idea that someone had given me was that they could have been bird eggs that someone or something had drilled a small hole in to drink the insides. Because some them certainly look like eggs, but then the quartz ones. Could an egg mineralize to quartz during the fossilization .

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Definately man made. If it was just one you could rule it out as nature, but everyone of those looks the same. Vrey strange they don't go all the way through. Maybe they were started, but never finished beads ? Very cool finds though and keepers :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
The holes look exactly like those of the ancient beads that Michelle showed me except for the fact they dont go all the way through. And the thought of them being unfinished had occurred to me except for the reasoning of them being unfinished at the same depth? Of course what ever was being used as a bit could have only been that long and they were going to get as far as they could before building a new bit??????

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
If it helps . These were found in central Texas about 45 miles west of Ft Worth. The area has small mountains , wooded with oak and mesquite and surrounded by the Brazos River with lots of Native American history but I have never seen any artifacts like these . It is also rumored that Cordova's expedition had once made there way through the area, there is is a small community near that is called Cordova camp supposedly where the expedition had actually camped . I haven't never found anything based on facts only local folklore. But makes sense cause the river goes to the coast . The town was built around the healing powers of crazy water. It had grand hotels with healing mineral baths that had people from around the world coming to. Along with a military base that trained 90% of the helicopters pilots of the vietnam war. But the hotels and the base are now closed , so not as quite as active. Anyway , just a little history of locale.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread