A bit of help on cleaning up a necklace type chain

canaddar

Greenie
Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am looking for a bit of help/advice from some of you. Beach find today that I am trying to figure out what to do with. It is some kind of a linked chain frozen up into this mass of corrosion. It does stick to a magnet. There is a bit of the chain that can move on the bigger piece and it seems to grab at the magnet, so I don't think it is a precious metal. It looks like it is a pretty sizeable chain. It is wound up thru this mass several times. Both pieces were together, but it broke when I was getting it out. I thought that it was a copper wire when I first found it, but looking at it when I got home, it is definitely a linked chain that seems copper in color. What suggestions do you guys have to try and clean this up and get the chain out? How long does it take to have something corrode up like this in the ocean/beach area?

Thanks for any pointers that you guys can give me...Robert

IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1581.JPG IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1585.JPG

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it stick to a magnet , trash it ,it's junk.

OP
OP
C

canaddar

Greenie
Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it stick to a magnet , trash it ,it's junk.

My insatiable sense of curiosity will not allow me too......because I just know that locked somewhere in that mass is a cool gemstone! lol

But, it is as good of an item as any to learn how to deal with this. I had some people recommend electrolysis for it. So that is going to be todays learning project......lol

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are lots of "how to's" on electrolysis on YOUTUBE

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak it for a day or so in a container of vinegar.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Actually iron chains are pretty much worthless...sorry. No one is putting precious stones in an iron chain..even silver chains rarely have good gems. If it looks rusty I generally toss.

BUT to satisfy your curiosity the vinegar soak will help. It'll be messy, stinky and at the end of it you'll have something mostly rusted away!

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I understand your desire to open it up and see what you got, even though you know it is worthless. I have done the same thing will lessor finds and sometimes I'm surprised at what I have, although it was always still junk. The vinegar suggestion above can work if you give it enough time. (really too slow for what you are trying to do on a known worthless chain) If you add salt to the vinegar, it ups the antae by turning some of the vinegar acidic acid into a mild hydrochloric acid, which is stronger. If this doesn't work fast enough for you, you can buy muriatic acid at the hardware store or swimming pool supply store. Muriatic acid is a weak solution of hydrochloric acid, but still much stronger than you can get out of salt and vinegar. Have fun, but be acid safe if you go the muriatic acid route, the fumes are very strong, it can burn your skin and blind your eyes if it splashes on your skin or in your eyes and it should not be used in closed conditions. Wear rubber gloves and a face shield or goggles when you are doing it. Additionally, I would start by covering the object in a plastic container with water, then adding the acid until you get a good bubbling reaction. You generally would not use muriatic acid straight from the container. Do not add water to acid, but rather acid to the water or you may get a violent reaction you don't want. Be careful, because I know you are going to get impatient and go for the muriatic acid.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the cheaper and safer method. Vinegar is an acid albeit a mild one. It just takes a bit longer, but, it's a lot safer, and cheaper. On an item like what you pictured, I wouldn't want to invest much money in cleaning that up until I know what it is and if it has any value. Chances are it will end up as DrJoe mentioned......a rusted piece of scrap that's going to be tossed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread