🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to my small permission
where I found my first Gold (filled) ring last week.The owner said I could go detect on His hay field so off I went.
Little did I know that the metal detecting Gods were smiling upon me cause within 15 mins I got a perfect high Signal on my Deus.
When I saw the small dirt encrusted
Coin pop out of the ground, I immediately knew two things,
It was Silver and it was Old.
Took a quick photo and sent It by text
to Anton aka Aureus and continued on my hunt.
2 minutes later I started getting a slew of text back from Anton.
With the sun in my eyes I make out French coin,then 10 sol,
King Louis XV, whoa..
My hands start shaking-
I got my first French Silver.
A 1719 Louis XV 10 sols de France-Navarre
Or 1/12 Ecu silver coin.
I don't know how Anton I.D. So quickly
By looking at that first photo
But He was right on the Money,
Pun intended.
The bonus is that this coin was only minted in 1719
And the H mark shows it's was minted in La Rochelle
with only 117,000 produced.
Took a couple of days for all this to sink in.
My previous oldest silver was a 1910 Vicky quarter and I just hopped and skipped almost two centuries to this french coin.
Craziest feeling ill tell you that.
I find what makes these old coins interesting is that they fluctuated
In value. For example,
A coin would usually be known by its picture or some other visual characteristic, not its monetary value. It did not have an actual value printed on it, as we commonly do. For example, if we applied this system to modern coinage, a modern dime might be called "a Roosevelt" and depending on the state of inflation or recession in the country might sometimes be worth 10 cents, sometimes 9, sometimes 12, etc.
The equivalence of these french currencies is as follows:
12 deniers equals 1 Sous or Sol
1 Livre (Franc) equals 20 Sous or Sols
1 ECU is worth 3 Livres
1 Louis is worth 20 Livres
In practical terms Here's what 10 sol
bought you in the early 18 th century.
Around 1710, the major commodities were selling at about the following price: salted butter, 10 sols; fresh butter, 15 sols, water melon, 3 to 6 sols; big melons 15 to 20 sols, the cheese on the Island of Orleans, a small, thin, round pieces and four pieces to the pound, 30 sols a dozen. And to cook all these ingredients, a stove cost 100 Livres.
A day I'll never forget.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 75

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gorgeous old beauty. Banner bump. It cleaned up so beautifully too. May I ask how you cleaned it?

Yes,first I dropped it in distilled water for 10 minutes
And then used a q tip to clean off some dirt followed by a 5 minute
Lemon juice soak and back in the water and that was it.

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact the three Aureus found and posted together didn't make it, it seems like the banner may be a lost cause for Early French now.

In the past Romeo found a nice one that made it. I believe Hunthick's Half Ecu made it, which it rightfully should have. My 24 Sols (1/5 Ecu) didn't, and neither did my countermarked 1500s Douzain. Didn't hurt my feelings any as they were no doubt borderline at best to most on here to make the banner, but they were certainly banner finds to me. The French stuff is the oldest we get here, and believe me an early French silver coin is not easy.

I'm pretty sure that was the first post that Aureus ever put up which likely automatically took him out of the running. These early silver non Spanish are tough finds. But as you know I will never understand the BANNER system

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, and then some items we see quite often(IMHO overbannered items like modern gold coins) dominate. But your point isn't that, but instead crazy good finds being lost in the Abyss. How about that 3-pence tree coin that didn't make it because another one was up?
I'll surely see a hundred gold coins before two tree coins. And it's not just that, it goes for Aureus's insane French coin find, and many others. I hate the thought of some of the greatest Tnet finds (unbeknownst to many) are lost in the bulldozer push we call Today's finds.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to go drool over IP's links.

Be honest Steve....it's that spandex suit you're really drooling over lol

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Be honest Steve....it's that spandex suit you're really drooling over lol

Hahah! I appreciate Iron Patch in his entirety. If clicking on that spandex avatar means seeing his hammered French finds....well, so be it. Hahaha!

Which begs the question....where's your 1500's hand struck silver??????

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool coin and good info! Thanks for it all and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahah! I appreciate Iron Patch in his entirety. If clicking on that spandex avatar means seeing his hammered French finds....well, so be it. Hahaha!

Which begs the question....where's your 1500's hand struck silver??????

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499933472.598257.jpg
Your turn lol

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, and then some items we see quite often(IMHO overbannered items like modern gold coins) dominate. But your point isn't that, but instead crazy good finds being lost in the Abyss. How about that 3-pence tree coin that didn't make it because another one was up?
I'll surely see a hundred gold coins before two tree coins. And it's not just that, it goes for Aureus's insane French coin find, and many others. I hate the thought of some of the greatest Tnet finds (unbeknownst to many) are lost in the bulldozer push we call Today's finds.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to go drool over IP's links.

I really never understood the fuss around the mass produced tiny gold coins, unless they are of a rare type. Why not give banners to late 1800's pendants or gold rings than. I heard the argument that it's because the gold coins are worth more, but than I have seen some of early French and Spanish silver coins that are more valuable and dont make the banner. I think there is no use of questioning what makes the banner or not as it has nothing to do with what the items historical or monetary value is, but rather a personal decision of the person who puts it up there.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I really never understood the fuss around the mass produced tiny gold coins, unless they are of a rare type. Why not give banners to late 1800's pendants or gold rings than. I heard the argument that it's because the gold coins are worth more, but than I have seen some of early French and Spanish silver coins that are more valuable and dont make the banner. I think there is no use of questioning what makes the banner or not as it has nothing to do with what the items historical or monetary value is, but rather a personal decision of the person who puts it up there.

That actually makes an enormous amount of sense. And yep, it all depends on member's areas of interest. Almost everyone shares a common interest in gold coins, but far less with colonial French, or colonial at all. Sure, I'm sure everyone enjoys the sight of an almost 300 year old KILLER coin, but it doesn't stir them enough to cast a vote. Sure it bothers me some incredible colonial items are lost in the abyss, but as a collective it bothers a whole lot less members than would a similar fate for a gold coin (per se).

I'll just keep enjoying posts like this one, yours, and many others of the "olde guard". Cheers bud

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That actually makes an enormous amount of sense. And yep, it all depends on member's areas of interest. Almost everyone shares a common interest in gold coins, but far less with colonial French, or colonial at all. Sure, I'm sure everyone enjoys the sight of an almost 300 year old KILLER coin, but it doesn't stir them enough to cast a vote. Sure it bothers me some incredible colonial items are lost in the abyss, but as a collective it bothers a whole lot less members than would a similar fate for a gold coin (per se).

I'll just keep enjoying posts like this one, yours, and many others of the "olde guard". Cheers bud

That’s life I guess.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I guess you had a bucket lister year! One after an other,awesome finds!

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I guess you had a bucket lister year! One after an other,awesome finds!

Happy with what I get.
All the best to 2018 my friend

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find,and an really old silver coin like that one is on my bucket list.

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find,and an really old silver coin like that one is on my bucket list.

Thank you sir.
I was shocked when I saw the date on this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread