🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to my small permission
where I found my first Gold (filled) ring last week.The owner said I could go detect on His hay field so off I went.
Little did I know that the metal detecting Gods were smiling upon me cause within 15 mins I got a perfect high Signal on my Deus.
When I saw the small dirt encrusted
Coin pop out of the ground, I immediately knew two things,
It was Silver and it was Old.
Took a quick photo and sent It by text
to Anton aka Aureus and continued on my hunt.
2 minutes later I started getting a slew of text back from Anton.
With the sun in my eyes I make out French coin,then 10 sol,
King Louis XV, whoa..
My hands start shaking-
I got my first French Silver.
A 1719 Louis XV 10 sols de France-Navarre
Or 1/12 Ecu silver coin.
I don't know how Anton I.D. So quickly
By looking at that first photo
But He was right on the Money,
Pun intended.
The bonus is that this coin was only minted in 1719
And the H mark shows it's was minted in La Rochelle
with only 117,000 produced.
Took a couple of days for all this to sink in.
My previous oldest silver was a 1910 Vicky quarter and I just hopped and skipped almost two centuries to this french coin.
Craziest feeling ill tell you that.
I find what makes these old coins interesting is that they fluctuated
In value. For example,
A coin would usually be known by its picture or some other visual characteristic, not its monetary value. It did not have an actual value printed on it, as we commonly do. For example, if we applied this system to modern coinage, a modern dime might be called "a Roosevelt" and depending on the state of inflation or recession in the country might sometimes be worth 10 cents, sometimes 9, sometimes 12, etc.
The equivalence of these french currencies is as follows:
12 deniers equals 1 Sous or Sol
1 Livre (Franc) equals 20 Sous or Sols
1 ECU is worth 3 Livres
1 Louis is worth 20 Livres
In practical terms Here's what 10 sol
bought you in the early 18 th century.
Around 1710, the major commodities were selling at about the following price: salted butter, 10 sols; fresh butter, 15 sols, water melon, 3 to 6 sols; big melons 15 to 20 sols, the cheese on the Island of Orleans, a small, thin, round pieces and four pieces to the pound, 30 sols a dozen. And to cook all these ingredients, a stove cost 100 Livres.
A day I'll never forget.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 75

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a fantastic coin recovery. That coin is a real beauty, and it's such an early coin. Fantastic! :hello2:

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think a very nice 1719 coin like that is a Banner Find!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice save,I often wonder if they lost stuff for us to find,a nice thought all same.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you still look at it every morning to make sure it wasn't a dream?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of these have we seen posted? This early silver is a BANNER coin

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just voted banner too. Such a beautiful coin! Just wow..

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Not many. In Canada or in the US. I believe not everyone realizes how much rarer these type of coins are compared to Spanish Reales. Even thou the New France used to stretch from Louisiana all the way to the Northern Canada.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gorgeous old beauty. Banner bump. It cleaned up so beautifully too. May I ask how you cleaned it?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The fact the three Aureus found and posted together didn't make it, it seems like the banner may be a lost cause for Early French now.

In the past Romeo found a nice one that made it. I believe Hunthick's Half Ecu made it, which it rightfully should have. My 24 Sols (1/5 Ecu) didn't, and neither did my countermarked 1500s Douzain. Didn't hurt my feelings any as they were no doubt borderline at best to most on here to make the banner, but they were certainly banner finds to me. The French stuff is the oldest we get here, and believe me an early French silver coin is not easy.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just gave it a BANNER nod....that ought to do it.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fact the three Aureus found and posted together didn't make it, it seems like the banner may be a lost cause for Early French now.

In the past Romeo found a nice one that made it. I believe Hunthick's Half Ecu made it, which it rightfully should have. My 24 Sols (1/5 Ecu) didn't, and neither did my countermarked 1500s Douzain. Didn't hurt my feelings any as they were no doubt borderline at best to most on here to make the banner, but they were certainly banner finds to me. The French stuff is the oldest we get here, and believe me an early French silver coin is not easy.

The worst part about the best stuff not going up is it's lost to the tnet abyss. Banners are supposed to catalog the best of the best regardless of category on here. And if that's not the point of the banner, I'd like to hear what the point is. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/banner.php takes you to all banners as well as the links under the users name who made them. I'd really love to read your two posts on your 1/5 Ecu and the Douzain and had they been put up top it'd be super easy for me to find them. Since so many special finds get ignored, then it makes the who process no longer special.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst part about the best stuff not going up is it's lost to the tnet abyss. Banners are supposed to catalog the best of the best regardless of category on here. And if that's not the point of the banner, I'd like to hear what the point is. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/banner.php takes you to all banners as well as the links under the users name who made them. I'd really love to read your two posts on your 1/5 Ecu and the Douzain and had they been put up top it'd be super easy for me to find them. Since so many special finds get ignored, then it makes the who process no longer special.

Here's the countermarked one. I was able to straighten it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...eparation-but-when-old-you-dont-complain.html

The 24 Sols one.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/171153-24-lost-souls-recovered.html

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Yep, and then some items we see quite often(IMHO overbannered items like modern gold coins) dominate. But your point isn't that, but instead crazy good finds being lost in the Abyss. How about that 3-pence tree coin that didn't make it because another one was up?
I'll surely see a hundred gold coins before two tree coins. And it's not just that, it goes for Aureus's insane French coin find, and many others. I hate the thought of some of the greatest Tnet finds (unbeknownst to many) are lost in the bulldozer push we call Today's finds.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to go drool over IP's links.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread