A Century Old Small Coin Spill

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks, last Saturday we had some decent weather and I decided to get out for a bit. I went back to the Spoon Woods, a place that always seems to give me a couple keepers. Keep in mind that these woods are a big 80 acres. The hot spot is about 8 acres filled with a lot of trash but has produced some decent finds. So I decided to try a different area. At first, I thought I had chosen wrong because there was a lot of standing water in the woods. So I stuck to the high ground. The other thing is that it is very thick in this part. A lot of fallen trees and little saplings everywhere. So thick in some places that there are deer tunnels along the deer trails.

The first decent target I dug was a spoon...imagine that. There was a hit here and then over there...all trash. I then get a nice target in the upper 70's. Cut a plug only to see a fat root going across the hole. Of course, the target was under the root. Finally got it out to see a 1919 wheat cent. I keep at it for a while when it starts to sprinkle. The Mrs. and I had plans for the evening when I hear my phone ringing. It's her telling me it's sprinkling and I should make my way home. I remind her that one of the reasons I got the AT Pro... didn't have to pack up for sprinkles. I told her just a lil bit longer. So I'm back in the hunt. Stopping here and there looking for any open areas I can see. No luck with that so I keep at it. I then spot a nice bottle lying on the surface. When you spot theses bottles lying around it tells me that there hasn't been to many people in these woods. I then get a decent target hitting in at a nice 87. I turn a little bit and it's still hitting in at the same. I cut a plug and flip it over only to see something fall back into the hole. When I look down I see some shiny with something on top of it that is green. I swing the coil over the hole and it's an 87 but not solid anymore. Has a screech to it. I have dug small lids that have a round, green brass piece on the inside of them. I pick it up and realize the lady luck was with me that day. Three coins and one of them was about to be scratched off the list. A nice Barber Quarter and I couldn't be any happier. I knew I had to get going so I stowed them away to clean up later. I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story. I'll put in some more pics of some finds from the old homestead permission. Mostly buttons so far. The next time I go back there I'm going to put my 5x8 coil on. Til then, thanks for looking and GL when you venture out. SD

IMG_20190223_153058.jpg IMG_20190223_160852.jpg IMG_20190223_161528.jpg IMG_20190223_161129.jpg IMG_20190224_155232.jpg IMG_20190224_170428.jpg

IMG_20190224_170528.jpg IMG_20190214_161653.jpg IMG_20190214_165614.jpg IMG_20190222_163034.jpg IMG_20190224_145832.jpg IMG_20190224_151232.jpg

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like you had a nice hunt!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work, Dave! 🙌

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Barber Quarter. Always nice to scratch one off the list.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, nice finds. HH

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats so cool with the mixed denominations! Ive found spills before, but mostly a wheat with a silver , or a pair of something. Never across the board like that.

Great Finds!

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you had a nice hunt!
Thanks gold boy, a nice hunt with sprinkles on top.
Would love to have that hunt!
Thanks Molewacker, it was short and sweet and they don't happen often enough.
Nice work, Dave! 
Thanks Ogre, a little work for pocket change can be rewarding.
Congrats on the Barber Quarter. Always nice to scratch one off the list.
Thanks Ken, was really nice to see 1895 on it.
Congrats, nice finds. HH
Thanks Todd, it's nice to find a little silver now and then.
Thats so cool with the mixed denominations! Ive found spills before, but mostly a wheat with a silver , or a pair of something. Never across the board like that.

Great Finds!
Thanks Diggin-N-Dumps, it's funny how 31cents can put such a big smile on a face no matter what denomination.
Nice finds!
Thanks Mike, we take what we get and sometimes we get lucky.
Excellent finds. Grats!
Thanks xr7ator, the excellent finds sure made my day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread