a claw or tooth?

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know its not metal, its bone i believe but it popped up while digging an early 1900s homesite. can anyone tell what kind of animal this is from? i was thinking possibly a pigs tusk, but not so sure its related to homestead because i dug it from directly under where the house had stood and i do not believe the area was bulldozed. so i would find it kind of strange that a farm animals tooth would have gotten under the house, but anything is possible i guess. thanks for your time.
the claw 002.JPG the claw 004.JPG the claw 005.JPG the claw 006.JPG the claw 007.JPG the claw 008.JPG

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im liking the pig tusk and snapping turtle theory. My grandpa spoke of snapping turtle being a common thing to eat back in his day in the area, and from what i understand there were several families that raised pigs also. But being as that there seems to be a layer of what could be enamel on this, im going to go with pig tusk. I know that it is supposed to be hollow, but maybe it was filled with dirt. I gave it to the person that brought me to this former homeplace. when i see him again i will have a closer look to see if maybe the cavity was filled with dirt.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JFI.....most claws...like specifically Mtn Lion and Bear,are "hollow as well :icon_thumright:Swine tusk is also Ivory

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought it was solved as a rabbit tusk. If not in alignment will grow like a tusk.

Claws are like fingernails.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the peeps kept talkin, and a newbie asked why it was solved, so i unsolved it again :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and im sorry if not mentioned, but this was found in western virginia where wild pigs havent migrated to yet, we do have bear tho.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread