a claw or tooth?

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know its not metal, its bone i believe but it popped up while digging an early 1900s homesite. can anyone tell what kind of animal this is from? i was thinking possibly a pigs tusk, but not so sure its related to homestead because i dug it from directly under where the house had stood and i do not believe the area was bulldozed. so i would find it kind of strange that a farm animals tooth would have gotten under the house, but anything is possible i guess. thanks for your time.
the claw 002.JPG the claw 004.JPG the claw 005.JPG the claw 006.JPG the claw 007.JPG the claw 008.JPG

pug

May 14, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l think its beaver. I have one just like yours. I googled beaver tooth. cloosest I found in comparison

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: I have no clue anymore, I go with .....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can only be a Watsamucalit then. i declare this mystery solved.

Upvote 0

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
I have found a few of them and believe they are common snapping turtle claws which has been a popular meat source for thousands of years.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found a few of them and believe they are common snapping turtle claws which has been a popular meat source for thousands of years.
We can rule out talon because anything on a bird is hollow and lightweight. We can also rule out Boar tusk because they are also hollow on the root end.

I think its a good possibility that you are correct. The large turtle claws may be more solid. Do they have large snapping turtles in Virginia?

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy that traps some huge Snappers,and He lives in Virginia....I'll drop him a note,and see where he gets em,and what the claws look like

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
For what it's worth, the teeth of rabbits (lagomorphs) have some amount of enamel (less than humans, but more than rodents) which keeps their teeth whiter than many critters. Beavers, for example, although born with white teeth soon turn an orangish color. Their teeth grow throughout their lives, so this is well within the range of a wild rabbits tooth. We've probably seen the pictures out there of pet rabbits' teeth that, uncared for, will grow excessively until the rabbit dies on it.
I don't think it's a claw, due to the ground down appearance. Although turtles dig, the only tough digging they do is when they're making a nest, rather than the daily wear this seems to have endured.
And I think that a rabbit is the most likely to hide out in a basement, assuming there's some sort of drop into it, which would deter a beaver, turtle, etc.
That's more than I thought I had to say, but there it is. And as always I may be wrong.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Who would have thought a rabbit tusk. I know what you mean kuger as a hog tusk has only about a third of the overall length showing. (and they have a sharp edge)

Upvote 0

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still going with the Beaver... here is an example to compare with.

Attachments

• Beaver Left Mandible.JPG
    Beaver Left Mandible.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Beaver Mandible 1.JPG
    Beaver Mandible 1.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread