What's new

A COOL pulltab! (Believe it or not)

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
74
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I found a COOL pull tab the other day.

Does anyone know how old this is? I'd have to guess quite old because I've never seen one before.

 
looks like a 'Micky's Big Mouth' beer pull tab. I've popped a few in my day--( now I drink ale)--

uh, right- it does say Shlitz---pbc--(post before coffee)
 
Upvote 0
I am almost positive it is from a TGI Fridays shooter. They made these in the 90's. I could only find one very low resolution picture with the tab still on and many with the tabs off. We used to drink these all the time...yum! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • tgi friday shooter.webp
    tgi friday shooter.webp
    2.1 KB · Views: 2,840
  • tgi fridays butteryball.webp
    tgi fridays butteryball.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,869
Upvote 0
Can you clean the dirt off of it and post another picture please?

I believe the video says its a bottle cap and it says Schlitz.


It reminds me of this unusual bottle cap found by another member. :dontknow:
Where is SODABOTTLEBOB?
 

Attachments

  • bottlecap patent.webp
    bottlecap patent.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,926
Upvote 0
I agree with bigcypresshunter. In my search for your pull tab I found my mystery pull tab. Although I could not find the exact picture of yours I did find an ad from 1963. I have posted my mystery pull tab and it's positive ID and the Ad possibly showing yours.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0255.webp
    IMG_0255.webp
    11 KB · Views: 1,716
  • IMG_0258.webp
    IMG_0258.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,674
  • 7ziptops.webp
    7ziptops.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,159
  • schlitz_ad1.webp
    schlitz_ad1.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,892
Upvote 0
chrisplay2004 said:
I agree with bigcypresshunter. In my search for your pull tab I found my mystery pull tab. Although I could not find the exact picture of yours I did find an ad from 1963. I have posted my mystery pull tab and it's positive ID and the Ad possibly showing yours.
Thats a 1962-64 ZIP TAB. I wrote an thread here at TN years ago about ziptabs but I cant search. Search here at TN: "When is it Good to Find a Pull Tab?" :D

Your bottom "pop top holiday" pic may be the mysterious Schlitz tab. :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • ziptab 1962-64.webp
    ziptab 1962-64.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 3,227
Upvote 0
Here's a Schlitz ad from 1967. Notice the word New is underlined. And although the picture of the cap is "blurred" (in motion) I believe they are talking about the same type of cap that SeaninNH found. Other than this, I'm really not all that familiar with this particular type of cap. Nor am I sure if chrisplay2004's 1963 ad and this one are of the same cap. But whatever the case, I think its safe to say the cap in question dates from the 1960s.

SBB
 

Attachments

  • Schlitz Pop Top Ad 1967.webp
    Schlitz Pop Top Ad 1967.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,846
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • Schlitz Pop Top Caps - Not Dated.webp
    Schlitz Pop Top Caps - Not Dated.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,864
Upvote 0
Ok, so found the right style of pull top, however, I cannot find any reference to Schlitz using them... :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • pull top beer bottle.webp
    pull top beer bottle.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,972
Upvote 0
Who would have thought pull tabs would be so interesting? :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Pull tab fun fact #1
How many Pull Tabs does it take to make a pound?
1250 aluminum pull tabs = 1#
I know I can easily find 1250 pull in a day... :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • pull-tabs_small_pile.webp
    pull-tabs_small_pile.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,092
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to get a few pictures of it up tonight or tomorrow.

I also have found other caps like this one while researching, but I can't seem to find a schlitz one.

It's interesting to say the least...

Thanks for trying to help find info on this though. I appreciate your time :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Pics
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20120205_173201.webp
    IMG_20120205_173201.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,029
  • IMG_20120205_173146.webp
    IMG_20120205_173146.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,160
  • IMG_20120205_173128.webp
    IMG_20120205_173128.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,817
  • IMG_20120205_173014.webp
    IMG_20120205_173014.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_20120205_172958.webp
    IMG_20120205_172958.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,624
  • IMG_20120205_172904.webp
    IMG_20120205_172904.webp
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,543
  • IMG_20120205_172847.webp
    IMG_20120205_172847.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_20120205_172833.webp
    IMG_20120205_172833.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,664
  • IMG_20120205_172732.webp
    IMG_20120205_172732.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,592
Upvote 0
Ok, I found it but I am still trying to date it....can't believe i'm dating a pull tab... :tongue3:
 

Attachments

  • Schlitz-Pop-Top-Crowns-Plastic-Jos-Schlitz-Brewing-Company_57555-1.webp
    Schlitz-Pop-Top-Crowns-Plastic-Jos-Schlitz-Brewing-Company_57555-1.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,945
Upvote 0
Good work :occasion14: Apparently there are several short-lived brewski variations. My vote for banner is in! :drunken_smilie: hic
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I showed a friend of mine this thread and he said he used to drink these and this came from the old cone cans.

I can't seem to confirm this though.

I can see it, but I could also see it coming from the bottle that was posted above from 1967.
 
Upvote 0
There has to be a patent on the cap in question. And although I have not found it yet, I did find the one below which I believe is for the other variation of "Pop Top." If so, then we have a 1963 filing date and a 1965 approval date. (Note: Patents often went into production before they were approved - thus the term, "Patent Pending.")

If you are curious as to how this particular cap worked, just enter the patent number into your favorite patent website and read all about it. However, I don't think it worked very good and may be why they improved it with a pull-ring.

I will continue to search for the patent with the "pull-ring/finger-hole" but I bet Big Cy beats me to it. :icon_thumleft: In fact, there may even be a patent number on the cap itself.

And if the cap in question was an "improvement," then it would most likely have been patented after 1963-65

SBB
 

Attachments

  • Schlitz Pop Top Caps - Not Dated.webp
    Schlitz Pop Top Caps - Not Dated.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,675
  • Schlitz Pop Top Caps - Not Dated.webp
    Schlitz Pop Top Caps - Not Dated.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,592
  • Bottle Cap Patent - Pop Top Type 1963-1965 (415x600).webp
    Bottle Cap Patent - Pop Top Type 1963-1965 (415x600).webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,830
Upvote 0
Although inconclusive, the following patent is the earliest one I have been able to find with what is described as a "Ring-Shaped" tab. I believe this is the first patent to incorperate a "Finger-hole" and that any pull-tabs that followed would have been a variation of this ... including the one in question. (Maybe). Thus, I'm thinking the one in question is 1965ish or later. (Maybe).

The earliest date I can find for when removeable pull-tabs were considered illegal in the U.S. was around 1972. Thus, I'm suggesting a date range for the one in question from about 1965 to 1972.

SBB

"Filed" and possibly first produced in 1965
 

Attachments

  • Pull Tab Patent (405x650) (2).webp
    Pull Tab Patent (405x650) (2).webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,798
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom