Just for the record ...
I occasionally need reminding this thread started with SeaninNH's "Schlitz" Pop-Top bottle cap, and that we have pretty much identified and dated it. Thus the green check mark. However, since I/we have strayed from that original topic somewhat, I figured it only appropriate for me to establish once and for all time what I consider to be the very first ...
"Tear-off type" bottle cap.
If there is an earlier one than this, then I have not come across it yet. And please note there were literally hundreds/thousands of different types of bottle closures patented over the years, but that most of them never made it off the drawing board. Even this one had a short life/use and was not all that popular. It seems William Painter's 1892 patent will always be the "King of Closures," except that it wasn't a "Tear-off type" and required a tool to remove.
So with that said, please allow me to introduce you to ...
"The 1902 Weissenthanner Closure"
The text description says in part ...
"An object of my present invention is to provide a closure which may be quickly and easily removed from the receptacle without the necessity of resorting to the use of tools or special impliments for that purpose."
Closure For Bottles, Jars, etc.
Patented July 22, 1902
The picture shows the closure on a bottle distributed by: Mellon Bottling Works - Payton, PA.
Is this then the "Granddaddy" of all Tear-offs? It just might be.
