A couple colonial finds from the most trashed woods I have every been in.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a new location to metal detect at, but the second I got there it realized that going there might have been a mistake. On the maps this place had looked so good, and it was right in the middle of a colonial town. As I walked down the trail I could already see junk on the surface. There were bicycle handlebars sticking out of a stream, and some cans on the surface. I ended up going to a clearing next to the stream, and I thought that people might have took there horses there for water, but instead of evidence of people giving there horses a drink, I found more trash than you could imagine. The second I swung the metal detector I got a signal. I than pulled out a coffee tin, in the coffee tin was a pencil, and a dime. After finding that coffee tin I continued to search the area pull tab, after pull tab, and the depressing iron bottle cap that sounds so good on the detector. I feel my best find in that area was a zincoln. I was in that clearing for less than fifteen minutes and I felt that I had got the amount of trash equivalent to the bleachers after a super-bowl final. I left that area and walked down the trail, I still got trash, but compared to that clearing near the stream it was nothing.I then went of the trail, and ended up pulling shotgun shells, and .22 casing out of the ground every 20 feet. I went back to the trail, I turned around, and decided to try on a 20 foot mound, that mound had a trash pit from the 1970's, which I decided to avoid, but on the trail on the mound I started getting overwhelmed by coin signals, I start digging and I already saw a in the hole, and a coin out of the hole, two copper memorial cents. I check again and I'm still getting coin signals everywhere. I figure that I have nothing to lose, and I keep digging clad in that 5'x5' square. I end up with 18 clad coins from that square, I also noticed that the clad was mixed with ashes, melted glass, pull tabs, and bottle cap, maybe there was a bonfire, and while a guy was sitting beside it all of the coins fell out of his pocket. After I left the pocket spill, I started down the trail, I was heading for an area close to another part of the stream, I decided to metal detect the trail on my way there, on the side of the trail I got that familiar signal, I dug five inches, and pulled out another musketball. At that point I was pretty close to that area of the stream, and there was colonial shoe buckle number five. I was thinking how I would fit that in one of my two display cases, with 21 colonial buttons, 5 shoe buckles, 12 musket balls, a colonial brass barrel spigot, and other misc. things, I decided to start display case number three. After that hunted I realized, that at the beginning of that metal detecting hunt I thought that people let there horses drink here, and I now think that that might be true.

Photos: top-left: Shoe buckle with quarter for size. Top-right: The pin hole in the shoe buckle.
Middle Row left: My colonial finds that day. Middle Row right: One of the many cans that I found, this one being the original pull-tab can (zip top) from 1962-1964, this is the type three style from late 1962, before 1962 cans had a cone shaped top.
Bottom left: All the coins from the coin spill.

IMG_20140825_095304.jpg IMG_20140825_094943.jpg IMG_20140825_094821.jpg IMG_20140825_094736.jpg IMG_20140825_094650.jpg

Thanks for Looking,

Last edited:
Upvote 6

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I applaud your persistence in the face of such trash, I'm not sure I would have been as patient.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the pictures

Top Member Reactions