🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got an early start with plans to scout a new site. On my way, I passed another location, changed my mind, and found myself turning around. It was tough going with very few signals, but I managed to pull a few keepers.

The trigger guard is really cool. It has a flower engraved on it. I found three pieces to different shoe buckles very far from each other. Still trying to get a whole shoe buckle. My modern find, a CW .54 Sharps Carbine bullet! The only button I found was the really small pewter cuff button. Turned out to have a woven flower pattern on the front.

IMG_20150920_144837336.jpg

Here is the flower on the trigger guard as well as the woven flower button.

IMG_20150920_144905119_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150920_144937760_HDR.jpg

Since I've been doing so much sifting lately, it was nice to get back into the field and swing the detector some.

Last edited:
Upvote 11
Im sure it was nice not to worl so hard today.
Nice hunt, love that trigger guard. And any pewter buttons are nice.
George

IS THAT A WILLIAMS CLEANER BULLET IN THE GROUP ? DAMN NICE TRIGGER GUARD AND BUTTON .

I would they were keepers...that partial buckle looks very similar to the one i got today..congrats

Nice hunt Brad. Its a good sign you're digging those shoe buckle parts as you know that site saw 18th century activity, and maybe a nice period coin or two will turn up. That trigger guard is a cool find as well.

Im sure it was nice not to worl so hard today.
Nice hunt, love that trigger guard. And any pewter buttons are nice.
George

Thank you George! I've hunted this area hard and picked most of today's finds from the midst of iron grunts. Not hard like sifting, but mentally exhausting. ha

IS THAT A WILLIAMS CLEANER BULLET IN THE GROUP ? DAMN NICE TRIGGER GUARD AND BUTTON .

Thanks Sutphin. I think its a .54 Sharps Carbine bullet... CW era. I've found a couple others in the same area. Always nice to dig a big piece of lead.

I would they were keepers...that partial buckle looks very similar to the one i got today..congrats

Thanks Patriot! I'll go check it out. A big goal of mine is to one day dig a complete shoe buckle still together.

Nice hunt Brad. Its a good sign you're digging those shoe buckle parts as you know that site saw 18th century activity, and maybe a nice period coin or two will turn up. That trigger guard is a cool find as well.

Thank you Bill! Weird how it works, but today was a day of shoe buckle pieces. Some days its buttons, some days its coins. All of them came from areas I grided off in the past, but dug the sketchy signals and hoped for a better tone once the plug got opened... yeah, I got a backpack full of iron, but I few turned into nice tones... and a lot of them were shoe buckle pieces. ha

Awesome find on the trigger gaurd, the sharps is sweet as well, great finds!

Nice hunt ,love the trigger guard...is that a Ring to the right of the large shoe buckle piece ?
Gary

Thank you Gary. I thought it was a ring too when I dug it up... Looks like one with a smashed band. But its not, its some sort of small strap/belt clasp. One end has a hook, and the other has a opening for a strap to loop through or something.

IMG_20150920_213506.jpg
IMG_20150920_213540.jpg

I think it's probably 1800's whatever it is!

-Brad

Thank you Casper!

Awesome find on the trigger gaurd, the sharps is sweet as well, great finds!

Thank you Chris! It's my first trigger guard and it was the first "keeper" I dug today. I thought it was a copper or possibly a silver, but when I saw it in the hole I got pretty excited. The flower made it even better. Searched for the other piece. It's plow destroyed so maybe I can find the part that broke off one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back