What's new

A couple "Iron" IDs needed

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A couple "Iron" ID's needed

Yeah, Yeah so I love to dig Iron. ::) Lol

The first one looks like an old hinge possibly. I'm not too sure about the others. How about the age of the utensil handle. Can anyone help with the maker/hallmarks? I'm just a sucker for any old history. Any clues? Thanks! HHHH
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    27 KB · Views: 309
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    32 KB · Views: 293
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 287
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

First pic looks like part of a strap hinge.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

Neat finds 4-H. I agree, the first piece was attached to wood little more than a half inch thick. It could have supported a tailgate, but that wood might be a bit thicker. I'd guess it more likely held chain, mounted on the thinner side wood, which might have been associated with a tailgate chain or something similar. The iron rivets are pretty short.

The hallmarks on the spoon are the type used to give the impression that it is fine silver, and which were sometimes used on silver plate. (there's another thread about these a few months back, but I can't find it)

The d shaped piece is a real odd ball. Haven't figured that one out yet. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

DCMatt said:
Item one could be a chain attachment point from a wagon tailgate.

Item two - no clue...

Item three looks like it has some characters on it. I think they are Egyptian hieroglyphics!

It's a curse from Pharaoh Twotoncommon.

It says, "He who eats from this spoon will bit off the bowl and choke on it." Since the bowl is already gone, the curse is broken. You should be safe. ;D

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

4-h, just guessing on the "D" piece, but it looks jury rigged out of an old buckle. The holes don't seem to match up well enough for it to be an original part. My guess is that was screwed down on a piece of wood which had a hole through it, (maybe the back of a wagon) and was used maybe as a guide to feed some chain through so the wood wouldn't get worn out; maybe the chain which was attached to the first piece?
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

I love to dig it but I don't take pictures of it on post it. Its junk chuck it :D :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

johnnyi said:
Neat finds 4-H. I agree, the first piece was attached to wood little more than a half inch thick. It could have supported a tailgate, but that wood might be a bit thicker. I'd guess it more likely held chain, mounted on the thinner side wood, which might have been associated with a tailgate chain or something similar. The iron rivets are pretty short.

The hallmarks on the spoon are the type used to give the impression that it is fine silver, and which were sometimes used on silver plate. (there's another thread about these a few months back, but I can't find it)

The d shaped piece is a real odd ball. Haven't figured that one out yet. :dontknow:
I beleive the "D", is a heel plate I dug one last weekend and will get a pic up asap!
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

kuger said:
johnnyi said:
Neat finds 4-H. I agree, the first piece was attached to wood little more than a half inch thick. It could have supported a tailgate, but that wood might be a bit thicker. I'd guess it more likely held chain, mounted on the thinner side wood, which might have been associated with a tailgate chain or something similar. The iron rivets are pretty short.

The hallmarks on the spoon are the type used to give the impression that it is fine silver, and which were sometimes used on silver plate. (there's another thread about these a few months back, but I can't find it)

The d shaped piece is a real odd ball. Haven't figured that one out yet. :dontknow:
I beleive the "D", is a heel plate I dug one last weekend and will get a pic up asap!
i was going to say heel plate as well
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

CRUSADER said:
I love to dig it but I don't take pictures of it on post it. Its junk chuck it :D :wink:
Hey! I can't find any Older here in the states. Don't make me come out there and drink whisky with ya ;D :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: What's one mans junk...is another guy over the ponds treasure! errr, somethin like that
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

kuger said:
johnnyi said:
Neat finds 4-H. I agree, the first piece was attached to wood little more than a half inch thick. It could have supported a tailgate, but that wood might be a bit thicker. I'd guess it more likely held chain, mounted on the thinner side wood, which might have been associated with a tailgate chain or something similar. The iron rivets are pretty short.

The hallmarks on the spoon are the type used to give the impression that it is fine silver, and which were sometimes used on silver plate. (there's another thread about these a few months back, but I can't find it)

The d shaped piece is a real odd ball. Haven't figured that one out yet. :dontknow:
I beleive the "D", is a heel plate I dug one last weekend and will get a pic up asap!
You can see mine in my "Flock of Eagles ",post.
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

4-H!!!!I hope you read this!!I cant receive private messages on here!! my e-mail is ellilou@sbcglobal.net
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

Yeah, Yeah so I love to dig Iron. Roll Eyes Lol

When I detect with real people in real life, they dig iron too. Only on Internet forums do you have people who dig no iron.

Now whether people like to dig iron or not, that's another story.

Personally, I don't think it's necessarily junk. Some of it I like. But anyone knows that from my handle. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

If you arent digging iron you are not getting a lot of guns,gun parts,knives.I cherry picked for years and regret it.I now hunt with 0 disc!
 
Upvote 0
Re: A couple "Iron" ID's needed

Rusted_Iron said:
Yeah, Yeah so I love to dig Iron. Roll Eyes Lol

When I detect with real people in real life, they dig iron too. Only on Internet forums do you have people who dig no iron.

Now whether people like to dig iron or not, that's another story.

Personally, I don't think it's necessarily junk. Some of it I like. But anyone knows that from my handle. ;D
:thumbsup: :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom