What's new

A COUPLE NICE GUN FLINTS:

valleyglen

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
76
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One is a surface find on a colonial trail, and one I recovered while digging a Indian Head Cent.
Note the wear on the first pic, the second one has been used very little but has a few marks
from the hammer. Thanks for looking...
 

Attachments

  • colonial finds 081.webp
    colonial finds 081.webp
    669.4 KB · Views: 153
  • colonial finds 086.webp
    colonial finds 086.webp
    520.4 KB · Views: 130
  • colonial finds 087.webp
    colonial finds 087.webp
    678.3 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
Nice looking Gun Flints. I have a nice tray of them from upper New York. Mine are all made from French Honey Flint and the Black English Flint.
 
Nice.. I love finding them
 
Here's the ones I have. All from the same site in upper New York.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0035.webp
    DSC_0035.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0036.webp
    DSC_0036.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0037.webp
    DSC_0037.webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0038.webp
    DSC_0038.webp
    66.6 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0039.webp
    DSC_0039.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0040.webp
    DSC_0040.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I find the French and a couple English..and Spanish...but also some blue material knapped a little different.. I believe it was used by the Creeks from Georgia who sided with the British in their Florida campaigns.
 
Last edited:
Those are real nice, you must live up by lake Champlain, a lot of French and Indian War pieces, Beautiful collection...
 
Some of my Florida finds

ForumRunner_20140727_112214.webp

Have a pistol flint in there too.

ForumRunner_20140727_112327.webp
 
You can see use on most of these
 
Only one I've personally found was on a sandbar on Narragansett Bay that had Paleo to Contact artifacts. It's the dark one. The light one is not a gunflint. Fooled me for years, because I don't know gunflints. When seen by an experienced eye, it was pointed out it's the wrong material, a type of rhyolite from Ma., plus the tiny oxidation stain makes the piece far older then contact. A scraper, not a gunflint.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    107.6 KB · Views: 100
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    126 KB · Views: 106
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    97 KB · Views: 108
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    281.2 KB · Views: 101
Hey Steve. I think you have the one I found here in Ohio. Keith.
 
I like to find gun flints , because then it's time to break out the AT Pro:laughing7: All of those are real nice guys.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom