What's new

A couple pre CW Buttons

mxtswinger

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
446
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
I'm hoping to get some info on these buttons. I've given up on the net.


No.1 is a gilt British crown button. Haven't seen this construction technique.

No. 2 is a pewter button with crossed something. Cannons?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and HH!, Kevin
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3129 B.webp
    DSCN3129 B.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 389
  • DSCN3166.webp
    DSCN3166.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Ptr Button Crossed.webp
    Ptr Button Crossed.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN3171.webp
    DSCN3171.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCN3171.webp
    DSCN3171.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 378
  • Ptr Button Crossed.webp
    Ptr Button Crossed.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCN3166.webp
    DSCN3166.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCN3129 B.webp
    DSCN3129 B.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 364
No.1 looks like a Police button

No.2 Looks to be late 18th century
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
No.1 looks like a Police button

No.2 Looks to be late 18th century


Really, police used buttons with a single crown. First I've heard of that but would make sense because there are quite a few and the lack of unit names or numbers was always a bit suspect to me to be military.

The second button is tough to tell because it is a little blurry. I do however clearly see a little guy on the right side looking down. Maybe you can ask him? :D (Do you see him?)
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
No.1 looks like a Police button

No.2 Looks to be late 18th century


Really, police used buttons with a single crown. First I've heard of that but would make sense because there are quite a few and the lack of unit names or numbers was always a bit suspect to me to be military.

The second button is tough to tell because it is a little blurry. I do however clearly see a little guy on the right side looking down. Maybe you can ask him? :D (Do you see him?)
Hey IP ,this the little guy your talkin bout?
 

Attachments

  • indexCA63P78D.webp
    indexCA63P78D.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 368
Upvote 0
humm on the police button --- why are all 12 points of the compass noted like that?
 
Upvote 0
I should have added a little background info. They came from the site of a small setttlement dating back to late 18th cent. I've dug probably a hundred buttons there including several tombacs, and the most recent ones date to the 1840's. Also a William IIII farthing which I think is 1831. Thanks and HH
 
Upvote 0
The second button...possibly a Corps of Commission button. :icon_scratch: looks like it may be the anchor with the small circular area at the left side.
 

Attachments

  • Militarybutton04.webp
    Militarybutton04.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0
Here's a slightly better pic of #2
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3200.webp
    DSCN3200.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
mxtswinger said:
Here's a slightly better pic of #2

The order of the crossed carrots
 
Upvote 0
You guys are too funny. :D

I don't think it's crossed anything. Just a simple '+' design on a button.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
You guys are too funny. :D

I don't think it's crossed anything. Just a simple '+' design on a button.

DCMatt

In which case it could be the X (10th) Reminent of Foot which ties in nicely with my first answer of the timeframe based on the metal type & construction:
http://www.redcoat.org/
 
Upvote 0
RickyP said:
Kinda looks like crossed cannons, maybe artillery button

That was my initial hunch, but I'm not so sure now. I finally acquired a lupe and have been looking closer.

Only one of the cross members has the bulge that I thought might be the chamber of a cannon. The other is uniform in width with what might be a sharpened point on one end. It's hard to say because of corrosion. The best way I can describe the figure with the bulge is that it looks like a canoe paddle. Here's another pic. Thanks everyone for the input.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3194.webp
    DSCN3194.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
mxtswinger said:
RickyP said:
Kinda looks like crossed cannons, maybe artillery button

That was my initial hunch, but I'm not so sure now. I finally acquired a lupe and have been looking closer.

Only one of the cross members has the bulge that I thought might be the chamber of a cannon. The other is uniform in width with what might be a sharpened point on one end. It's hard to say because of corrosion. The best way I can describe the figure with the bulge is that it looks like a canoe paddle. Here's another pic. Thanks everyone for the input.

Crossed spoon and sword? An army cook's button? ::) ;D
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom