A Few Finds From 3/3/10

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine had told me a while back that one of favorite sites had been turned, but since all of the snow we've had I haven't been able to get down there until Tuesday. This spot was always very productive back 15 or 20 years ago when it was deep rolled every year, but around 1996 they quit turning the fields and turned it into a nature preserve. They just recently actually started turning the soil agian though it's turned very shallow. I had one of my most productive days ever in these fields finding over 100 good points, a couple stone tools and all kinds of Scrapers and broken pieces. Tuesdays hunt wasn't anything like that, but I didn't do too bad.

The first two pictures are of a little Hafted Scraper.

The third picture is another Hafted Scraper. I didn't get an in situ because I didn't realize what it was until I flipped it out.

The 4th and 5th pictures are of the best point of the day. I think it might be a Rice Lobed Point.

The 6th and 7th pictures are of a crude Point or Knife. It has really nice flaking on one side and the other side has barely been flaked.

The 8th picture is another nice Hafted Scraper.

The 9th picture is a really nicely flaked Uniface Knife.

The 10th is a decent Hammerstone made from a Flint Cobble.

The 11th is of the days finds.

The last picture is something I hate to see in a field. It not only shows me that someone has hunted that area very well, it also ticks me off when people do this. I hate finding flint piles.

Attachments

• Finds001.jpg
    Finds001.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Finds004.jpg
    Finds004.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 408
  • Finds010.jpg
    Finds010.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 408
  • Finds013.jpg
    Finds013.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 394
  • Finds014.jpg
    Finds014.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 405
  • Finds021.jpg
    Finds021.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 397
  • Finds022.jpg
    Finds022.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Finds019.jpg
    Finds019.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 389
  • Finds030.jpg
    Finds030.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 392
  • Finds020.jpg
    Finds020.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 395
  • Finds034.jpg
    Finds034.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 394
  • Finds023.jpg
    Finds023.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
Nice hunt!!

WOW!! A hundred good points in one day?? Man I can only dream!! Heck , even when I dream I dont find that many. That was a banner hunt for sure. That is just awesome!!

Twig.

Here's a few pictures of some in situ finds of broken points and a few pictures of the wetlands that are near this site. I've heard there are Eagles in the area, but I never did see any.

Attachments

• Finds007.jpg
    Finds007.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 367
  • Finds018.jpg
    Finds018.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Finds017.jpg
    Finds017.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Finds016.jpg
    Finds016.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 381
  • Finds008.jpg
    Finds008.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Finds026.jpg
    Finds026.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Finds027.jpg
    Finds027.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 371
  • Finds028.jpg
    Finds028.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 367
Bent-Twig said:
Nice hunt!!

WOW!! A hundred good points in one day?? Man I can only dream!! Heck , even when I dream I dont find that many. That was a banner hunt for sure. That is just awesome!!

Twig.

Actually there were three of us hunting that day and I don't think any one of us left that day with less than 100 complete points each. There was a spot in the center of the fields that hadn't been plowed in over 50 years and after the farmer turned it we had a really long soaking rain and we were the first ones to the spot. We were literally pointing out points to each other and you could bend over to pick one up and see another one before you raised up. I ended up having to take off my shirt and make a sling to carry the pieces back to the car.

Most of the points in this tray were found that day.

Artifact%20Pictures%20006.jpg

That is just awesome!!

I hope you find another hot spot like that again someday. And if you do give me a call and I will work the camera for ya!! :icon_thumright:

Twig.

You still had a good hunt. Yeah I hate seeing the flint piled up and dumped. The glory days of old. I think the only person living them is Larson on his patch. So much has really never been turned. I used to hunt a field they let the Boy Scouts hunt every year for years. The farmers said a tractor trailor load came off that field.I doubt that but imagine several tons did come off that one hill.
Nice hunt and pics :thumbsup:

Killer hunt Steve.I am jealous, we still have snow on the ground.well alot of the snow has melted in my yard but not in the fields.Yesterday I went to recon a new spot i am excited to hunt,the snow is melted pretty good everywhere except in the fields.what is up with that?was hoping to go out this weekend but mother nature isnt helping,may have to wait until next week.great pics dude :thumbsup:

Nice insitu pictures and finds SRV, thanks for sharing those...nothing I hate more than seeing someones flake piles on a spot I'm hunting.

Thanks guys and gals.

creek, I think the reason the snow stays on the fields longer then the grassy areas is that the wet dirt stays a few degrees colder than the grass and holds more moisture so it doesn't melt as quickly. There were still quite a few spots in this set of fields that were snow covered, especially spots where the sun probably never shines, like along stands of trees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back