A few finds from a March 7th hunt

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing too special, did find an out of place Pennsylvania Railroad Uniform button, not sure of the era of the button, that backmark is not in any of my books but it is a known backmark on those buttons. Now what that was doing in the pine barrens at an isolated site in Southern NJ who knows, but it cleaned up rather well. I did think it was going to be another King George copper however, found it within 8 feet of where I found my last King George II Halfpenny.
PRR Button both sides.jpg

It was a button hunt for some reason, ended up with 6 of them, one of them is kind of out of the ordinary, it has a square nail going thru the eye of the shaft and either rusted on or whatever is a third piece that I am not sure what it was, why it is stuck to the nail that is going thru the button hole, not sure if it is lead, brass or what, just one of those unsolved what is its.......
Funky Button.jpg
Here are all the finds as found, shhhh, don't tell anybody I found a 1974 Quarter, might ruin a reputation ::)
Site252finds7March.jpg
And here are the finds that I cleaned from this hunt.
Site252 7 March finds clean.jpg
I did get my 8th copper of 2011, but it is almost total toast, it was not buried deep and the acidic leaf mulch got to it. It appears it might be a Conn copper, if that is a C I am seeing and there are remnants of a date bar with possible 7 number, but it is an eye test copper for sure. It is time for me to find a good conditioned copper, or perhaps a half dime :tongue3:
UnknownColonialCopper.jpg

Not sure about the thimble, I never found one before that appears to have been made without the protective domed top, so it might be a tad older than most of my other thimbles found over the years.
ThimbleOpenEndType.jpg

Don

Upvote 0
You got a copper and Colonial relics and that is all that matters. :headbang: Chalk it up as a crusty Colonial and toss it in with your hundreds of other coppers. :laughing7: I heard that thimbles that do not have a top are definitely 18th century. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :hello:

I'd be happy with those finds Don... of course they aren't up to par when it comes to your usual, but you will be back at it soon finding the goods. I hope to get out this weekend after finding the Spanish, I can feel something great coming :thumbsup:.

Hill

A nice little piece of railroad memorabilia Don. I have one that just says PRR. At least you were out digging and got the "copper rush" from seeing that big green disc in the hole, even if it turned out toast. I am itching to get out, but it probably won't happen till next week due to weather and other commitments.

Nice, I love New Jersey :laughing7: I was a member of the east coast research and recovery club way back before I moved to Va.

Nice going on the copper Don

But sorry about the condition. Actually, it looks similar to the few I dig down here. I like that RR button too. Tried looking up the backmark in a couple of my books, but that company is not listed for some reason. But it looks to be late 1800s/early 1900s to me. HH ..... Bill

the thimble was probably worn thru and tossed........ my mom could do that, and has

Crusty but still a copper. Nice finds. I could find buttons all day and be happy. No more NJ coppers? I know youll find at least one more this year. :icon_thumleft:

olroy70 said:
the thimble was probably worn thru and tossed........ my mom could do that, and has

That was my first thought when I found it, but no, the top does not appear to ever have anything there, this type was used, I believe some variants were called tailor's ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back