A few firsts for me, inlcuding my first Barber silver!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine invited me to join him at a site where an inn once stood in the 1880's, so of course I said "yes"! It was obvious that the site had been worked before, but based on the unfilled holes and lack of high tones, whoever was there before was coin-shooting. I did manage to come away with a few cool relics and several "firsts" for me. In addition to the usual shotgun shells and square nails, I found the following: my first harmonica reed, my first garter clip, and my first oil lamp wick assembly (which dates to the 1890's based on the manufacturer). I also got my first .41 caliber shell casing with an "H" headstamp, which (from online info) was used from the late 1850's through the early 1900's for single-shot pistols, such as a Derringer.

All Finds.jpg

Garter Clip.jpg

Harmonica Reed.jpg

41 Cal Pistol Shell - H.jpg

I also got my first Indian Head Penny, which was pretty roached when I first dug it. I did a bit of cleaning using techniques discussed by other Tnet users (Vaseline and Andre's Pencils). The result was at least recognizable as an IHP with a readable date - 1864!

1864 IHP Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg 1864 IHP Reverse Pre-cleaning.jpg

1864 IHP Obverse Some Cleaning.jpg 1864 IHP Reverse Some Cleaning.jpg

My find of the day, though, was my first Barber silver coin, which just happened to be a 1911-D Barber Half Dollar!

1911 Barber Half Dollar Obverse.jpg 1911 Barber Half Dollar Reverse.jpg

Needless to say, I had a wonderful day, and we plan to go back again sometime in the near future! As always, thanks for looking, and my your next hunt bring you joy!

Upvote 34
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear my only Barber Half around my neck and anytime I get a IHP it a get day. Congratulations on a great opportunity for a great hunt.

Thanks!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, first barber is a half dollar? That’s crazy. Good stuff and go get some more!!

I couldn't believe it when I pulled it out of the hole. I'll try not to look disappointed when I find my first Barber dime! :laughing7:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very nice hunt Tom! I'm very jealous of your Barber half dollar. What a beautiful coin. I've never managed to pass my coil over one of those... Congrats!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice hunt Tom! I'm very jealous of your Barber half dollar. What a beautiful coin. I've never managed to pass my coil over one of those... Congrats!

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber silver. Nothing like starting off at the top with a Half Dollar !

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Sweet Silver!!! Congrats on a very productive hunt:icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That 1911 Barber is a serious
Silver find. Liking the IHC too. Congrats!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tom, Congrat's to you on a Great hunt for sure. A silver Barber half dollar and a War period 1864 I.H. Penny and all the relics = One great day hunting with some Nice Saved History. Best of luck to you on your return trip. Let us know what else comes up and out from this area. Well Done.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put that barber in a nice case I love finding those though not very often Well done

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you certainly knocked a lot of "FIRSTS" off your bucket list.
Congratulations

Did I ever! It helps when you're hunting an area that has a little left! I can't wait to get back out there.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That 1911 Barber is a serious
Silver find. Liking the IHC too. Congrats!!

Thanks. I know the Indian is a bit roached, but it was my first, so I absolutely love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread