a few relics from colonial days?

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Researched and was able to reference an area on a modern map that had seen activity during the mid 1700's. The natural features matched so closely that I felt a high degree of certainty that I had found it on paper. It was very satisfying to validate all that with a few artifacts. The button has no backmark and is one piece. I assume it is of the 18th century. Can you tell by the style of the shank? Would the piece of flatware be pewter? There was absolutely no modern trash in this area.

CAP

Attachments

• flatware.jpg
    flatware.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 463
  • colonial button shank.jpg
    colonial button shank.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 000_0418.JPG
    000_0418.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 516
  • musketballs.jpg
    musketballs.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent job on the research and being able to validate it with your finds. I assume you will be going back. :)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there were people reaching into their pockets for musketballs, there were people dropping change. I hope you find some. Prime example of research paying off. GL

Laater...

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is a pewter spoon handle. The shank on the button I would say before 1780. the round balls also look 69-74 cal. That is an early site, get back there and hunt it hard. Would not suprise me if you find a SC 6 there.Thats the right stuff. Let us hear of your finds and HH Oh yea I found a button simular to that shank below Savannah, it had a piece of bone covered with a piece of silver clamped to a device like yours.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and great research. Thanks for the post and pictures, HH, Ringfinder

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ohhhh yaaaa, Cap. You've got alotta possiblilties there.

Good luck. It looks like an early site for sure. :)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone else here, good research = good finds. Great job and thanks for sharing.....hh/ns

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right on saying 18th Century, I find a lot of those style buttons here in Germany, I would say mid 1700s! The musket balls have a nice thick white patina indicating age in the ground, also very old. Nice finds and looks like you are on it, great research and should be more there! HH, Mike

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Congratulations CAP on your research and digs. It's really cool being able to go that far back here in the U.S.A. Most anything older here has been covered up some, or is a protected nat or state park.

We would not have colonial stuff in Kentucky of course, unless it was carried here. But we did have some Late 1700's early 1800's activity. Would be pretty awesome to find something from that time period.

I hope your research is rewarded with a nice colonial coin and more artifacts.

Postalrevnant

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! I went on my first 1700's dig last weekend and I was stoked just to find a couple of colonial nails. You need to hit that site hard and often. Really nice stuff!!

HH,
The Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions