🥇 BANNER A find of a life time 1652 Massachustetts pine tree 6 pence

Coinshooter2012

Nov 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I headed out Monday with a couple of my good friends Scott and Jesse. We go to this site it was an old field used for I don't even know how many years.

This location has been known for putting out barbers, mercs and other silver coins. Jesse made a pass toward the left center of the field about 100 ft from me Scott was hunting about 20 ft from me.

My first signal was a penny signal I figured for sure it was a Memorial, I flip the plug wave the pin pointer over it and notice a small silver edge in the plug, thinking now it was a pull tab I pull this small coin out of the dirt. I saw the writing on the back and yelled I got something. I ran over to Scott and handed it to him the coin flipped in his hand and bam the pine tree shined in the sun. I freaked out like a school girl "it's a pine tree"! Scott flippant the coin over and sees the 1652 on the back side of the coin. I hear Jesse in the background say "no way". The three of us we so mind boggled the phones came out. Bill Ladd got a text with the pic of the coin and before I knew what just happened I was calling my wife, it was 7:58 am. It was a coin I had wanted to find since I started detecting a year ago. On the way to the site we were just talking about finding a pine tree coin.
Next step is get it graded and appraised and see if what I'm holding is really worth what everyone is saying.
2rxu1i1.jpg

20uq0lg.jpg

Upvote 40

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a common array of questions being asked.
It was 5 inches deep, in solid packed clay/dirt, it was on beach land (it was a small field) not in the sand. Had to "chisel" my way through the ground it was so hard.

Im running a Fisher F75 SE Black 2 months old, very new to me.

I am out east it was found on the coast of Rhode Island.

With all the talk about grades and value here is my outlook on the coin. The historical value is worth far more to me than the money that it could bring in. This coin will stay the center piece of my collection for a while.

Well done on the banner, only just read this thread.

Why would you slab it, if your keeping it? Spending money & risking loss in post would give me sleepless nights.

OP
OP
C

Coinshooter2012

Nov 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on the banner, only just read this thread.

Why would you slab it, if your keeping it? Spending money & risking loss in post would give me sleepless nights.

I will be having it slabbed, the reason for this is so if people come over and want to see it it wouldnt get damaged. more for safe keeping.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be having it slabbed, the reason for this is so if people come over and want to see it it wouldnt get damaged. more for safe keeping.

Sorry but after seeing it flat on your hands, that makes no sense. You can get a acid free pocket for less than 10 cent, no need to slab it, & hold it on its edges for starters (after you clean it).

100 for $6:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-2-X-2...STORAGE-POCKETS-SEE-THROUGH-PVC-/200951104463

PS. I have plenty of coins I show people, never slabbed any, & none get damaged.:icon_scratch: Just trying to help, I was taught to hold valueable coins by there edge when I started coin collecting.

If you want to spend money on good coin trays, get something like this, still cheaper than a slab & you get more than 1 coin in these (many more!):
http://www.coingallery.co.uk/lighthouse-coin-trays-28-c.asp

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coinshooter2012

Nov 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but after seeing it flat on your hands, that makes no sense. You can get a acid free pocket for less than 10 cent, no need to slab it, & hold it on its edges for starters (after you clean it).

100 for $6:
100 2 X 2 CLEAR PLASTIC COIN WALLETS ENVELOPES STORAGE POCKETS SEE THROUGH PVC | eBay

PS. I have plenty of coins I show people, never slabbed any, & none get damaged.:icon_scratch:

If you want to spend money on good coin trays, get something like this, still cheaper than a slab & you get more than 1 coin in these (many more!):
Lighthouse Coin Trays | Coin Display Trays | Coin Storage Trays

Im not 100% sure why this is such a big deal. The pic was taken literally 3 minutes after I found it
I carry felt pouches that it went in as soon as I could get it in the pouch. Currently its in a 2X2 and its in my safe.

Trust me im scared as all hell to send it to California to get graded, how else do you get a true professional grade?? I would like to know what quality the coin is.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not 100% sure why this is such a big deal. The pic was taken literally 3 minutes after I found it
I carry felt pouches that it went in as soon as I could get it in the pouch. Currently its in a 2X2 and its in my safe.

Trust me im scared as all hell to send it to California to get graded, how else do you get a true professional grade?? I would like to know what quality the coin is.

I often come across as blunt & to the point. No offense meant. Your 'short' flat hand picture is no big deal, but I'm sure you would not let your friends do the same.

After your comment about historical value, which is all that matters to me as well, to then ask how to get a 'professional grade' seems more than odd. You have already had some strong opinions on here for FREE. Forget the slabbing & be happy with what you can see & what we can see from your great images.:thumbsup: SAVE YOUR MONEY, THOSE THAT KNOW, WILL KNOW. Those that don't know, will not get it anyway, so it's a pointless excerise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coinshooter2012

Nov 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often come across as blunt & to the point. No offense meant. Your 'short' flat hand picture is no big deal, but I'm sure you would not let your friends do the same.

After your comment about historical value, which is all that matters to me as well, to then ask how to get a 'professional grade' seems more than odd. You have already had some strong opinions on here for FREE. Forget the slabbing & be happy with what you can see & what we can see from your great images.:thumbsup: SAVE YOUR MONEY, THOSE THAT KNOW, WILL KNOW.

Im just trying to keep it safe, for now it will stay in the safe and not be handled.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After your comment about historical value, which is all that matters to me as well, to then ask how to get a 'professional grade' seems more than odd. You have already had some strong opinions on here for FREE. Forget the slabbing & be happy with what you can see & what we can see from your great images.:thumbsup: SAVE YOUR MONEY, THOSE THAT KNOW, WILL KNOW. Those that don't know, will not get it anyway, so it's a pointless excerise.

My best silver coin, also in that price range or higher, was not authenticated until it came out in a book.... about 12 years after I dug it. :) And it's a coin that some even questioned the authenticity, but that still didn't hold any influence for me sending it in because I know what it is, and don't need a paper to tell me. But like I said I got lucky because it was authenticated on picture alone to be put in the book. For the Pinetree, being a common variety there's lots of sales to compare to so I personally see no point sending it anywhere.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What damage can be done, that hasn't already been done after a soil nap of nearly four hundred years, unless you let everybody who looks at it...rub the hell out of it :laughing7: when I go to the UK coin fares there are 100's of thousands of coins on display, gold silver...mega money coins, all available to look at, and handle.

SS

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
What damage can be done, that hasn't already been done after a soil nap of nearly four hundred years, unless you let everybody who looks at it...rub the hell out of it :laughing7: when I go to the UK coin fares there are 100's of thousands of coins on display, gold silver...mega money coins, all available to look at, and handle.

SS

Thank you! I was just about to post the exact same thing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it's in a 2x2 I'm sure that would break any type of fall, so can't imagine having any problem. I just make it a rule for my own finds to handle them over something that would give a soft landing. Usually just a towel or something.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it's in a 2x2 I'm sure that would break any type of fall, so can't imagine having any problem. I just make it a rule for my own finds to handle them over something that would give a soft landing. Usually just a towel or something.
I just recently dropped a Half Groat, and the bloody thing broke, right on the legend.. now where is the super glue :laughing7:

SS

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So why do it?? I've graded a few coins in my day, and to tell you the truth, I've been disappointed almost ALL the time. Listen to CRU....and get a 10 cent holder!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So why do it?? I've graded a few coins in my day, and to tell you the truth, I've been disappointed almost ALL the time. Listen to CRU....and get a 10 cent holder!

But wouldn't that drop it from 8k to 10 cents? :)

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Congratulations coinshooter, awesome find for sure, keep it, enjoy it, now go get and oak and willow to put beside it.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner!!!! What an Amazing find, Congrats. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread