monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new creek yesterday and started finding sign right from the get go. Chips, pottery and I thought I was on the hot spot, but I walked for about a mile and did not find the first tool, broken point or anything like that, but like I said I found a ton of pottery ,chips and some prehistoric bones and teeth. It was just weird , but I had a good day just looking. 023.JPG I just know there has to be an artifact in this creek, just too much sign. I did find a weird bone item that was cut by hand and sit's flat:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would take me a year to find that much in my creek. You KNOW there has to be points/knives in that creek.........and I hope you find many!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Love all that pottery and the teeth! Wonder what the weird bone item is? I'm the same as psofnc...it would take me the better part of the year to find that much too!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most collectors don't pick up the pottery or some don't even see it. I have been in creeks like that makes me wonder if somebody else beat me to it.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are definitely stone artifacts there as well... when I find pottery pieces like that ( but seriously never THAT much!!), I tend to find the stone items either up or down stream from it, never really much besides chips with the pottery. Could be coincidence too...

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you know your territory more than any of us do, but there are so many reasons for all that pottery and such- and no points, and I really doubt it was because of previous hunter/collectors. If there were fields nearby, folks used to chuck pottery into a nearby creek just to get it out of their way. Sometimes if it was a small settlement, the hunting was somewhere nearby, but they were too careful w/ their stone pieces to leave usable bits laying around- and the good stuff would be somewhere w/i, say, 5-800 yards of your creek- and not where they lived. If it was a stop on their travels/migrations, there would be some debitage and pottery, but they'd bring the best stuff along with them. But you know all this, and I know I'm just preaching to the choir. Nevertheless, while out there, I think if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking around for good hunting spots and checking topo maps for the dips and flats, water and such where they would have hunted rather than slept.
I definitely envy your ability to be out and hunting. It's coooooold out around here! BBbrrrrr!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...That's quite a "catch"....yes, probably a lot more "goodies" there monsterrack:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread