What's new

A funny thing happened at the park... the teenagers realized THEIR hobby is worse...

I saw a similar such "blindness" when the lottery came to Texas. People were spending their entire paychecks on tickets, then starving. Many lost their homes and/or jobs due to the addiction. There was a definite spike in crime (quite large) due to people getting hungry and needing to survive, but not knowing how. And even then, many people would still spend every possible cent on those blame tickets!

This game has potentially worse consequences in the sense that folks will walk blindly into dangerous situations (traffic, muggings, rape, etc), but also the effects it has from folks losing their job because "they lost track of time". The Texas lottery is still around. I have no doubt such stupid games will, also.
 
I like the fact that this Pokemon Go game has gotten lazy kids, teens and even adults off the couch from playing their video games and getting outside and exercising. Yes I know 50 something year old video game addicts that talk non stop about playing video games. The same people I know playing Pokemon Go look at me like I have 3 heads when I try to explain Geocaching, my wife likes Caching and I walk the dog when she goes. It is hard to believe that Pokemon Go has buried Geocaching in about 2 weeks time, lol. I asked my friend last Thursday if his daughter was playing Pokemon Go and he said she was too lazy to do that, I explained it is the hot fad of the month and people will do it because everyone else is. I was at his house Saturday for a birthday party and his daughter was raving about Pokemon Go, lol.
 
I belong to several outdoor forums, bushcraft etc. On one of them some grown men were putting up pictures of these Pokeman things. Is this the legacy of the 90's kids, now adults, and still stupid over this stuff ? I don't think that some people today could pinch a loaf without bringing a phone into the room with them.
 
What a bunch of haters. Although, I expect nothing less from this forum.
 
I rather like this Pokemon Go trend. I don't play it myself but all those people stumbling around staring at their phones are potentially dropping coins and jewelry for me to find later. Not only that, of the dozens of players I saw, not even one bothered me yesterday while digging in the park. This game is silly and I'll never play it but it's a win-win for the treasure hunting community. HH! ☺
 
You all don't realize the potential, we just need to wear baseball caps and have a couple of pokeballs hanging besides the pinpointer and if people ask what we do we can say this is the special addon needed to find Digletts and Diglettos.
 
Hi jerseyben; If you have kids, I don't know, would you want them walking into dangerous situations because of a game ?? I think not. But if you would then it is your fault if something bad, God forbid, happens to your kid. That is my point. Where does your so called "HATE" come from ?? In my House We have simple basic Rules set up to PROTECT my kid. If that is wrong then I'll eat my hat.!!! :leprechaun-hat: I don't think a single word of HATE has been said this Entire Thread. We have only talked about good old fashioned Common Sense which some people lack. Apparently Common Sense has become a serious problem for a lot of people. I stand by my Actions regarding my kids disrespectful, dangerous behavior. The Evidence speaks for itself. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:
 
Last edited:
I was at one of our local beaches at 3:30 a.m and minding my business when a young lady screams out "I caught one" all I could do was laugh because I knew what she was doing.
 
BARKER has nailed it, the lack of common sense.

No one out right hates pokemon, it is the unintended consequences that are objectionable.

How will it effect your life if one of these players walkes out in front of your car and is hit and killed? You would feel horrible, it would effect you and others for the rest of your lives.

I am a believer in personal responsibility, minors also have parents who are their protectors and are responsible morally & legally for them.

All mine are grown but if one of them pulled what BARKERS did, i'd be asking "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!!!"
If i didn't bat them up side the head!


We are not haters jerseyben.
 
Last edited:
What a bunch of haters. Although, I expect nothing less from this forum.

We're / They're "haters".... What do you mean? You come across or sound like a left wing loyalist who endorses this kind of behavior from children or expect parents to encourage it?
 
Hii; Msbeepbeep, It took a bit of restraint from doing both. My kid "knows" better but she still did it anyways. My father would have whacked me into the middle of next year if I did it. Back then kids obeyed their Parents. NOT the Parents obey the kids. I like the old way better and I stand with it for sure. Most kids today tell their Parents,"if you don't let me do this OR If you Punish me I'll call the Authorities." Me, I'll gladly go to jail. I'll be the Proudest guy in there for sure.!!! :icon_thumright: I think even the other Inmates would be Proud of me as well.!!! :laughing7: I have even literally had cons tell me that if their Parents were stricter and enforced the House Rules that they may not have committed the Crimes or acted the way they did. I don't endorse Corporal Punishment but some kids need a good whack. My kid even agrees with me on that one as well. Believe me that "IF", God forbid, I ever had to whack my kid I definitely would have. Fortunately I have NEVER had to. Tempted YES. Did, NO. I thank God my kid has a brain and respect for others. I like it that way. Makes Life easier. Anyways, What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:
 
Well, I just went for a three mile walk with my daughter and we both played Pokemon Go. I think she would have walked for another three miles if we had the time. So we were on sidewalks, but there was a danger of not looking when a car pulled out of the driveway. You can play without looking at the screen, the phone vibrates when there is something to catch. I gave her safety tips as we played and watched what she was doing. Honestly, I feel better about her playing this game than when she is riding her bike on the road. She has a tendency to not look both ways when she exits the driveway while bike riding. She also veers her bike when she looks over her shoulder. Her bike riding skills scare me much worse than her pokemon playing...
 
While I'm not about to call anybody a hater...I think Nintendo hit a homerun with this game/app. I surely do not think they are to blame for lack of critical thinking or common sense by adults and children alike.

If your kids are sneaking out at 2AM and/or running in the street without taking a look....that is somehow Nintendo's fault? Amazing logic. I have 9 (girl) and 13 (boy) year olds at home...neither interested in Pokemon. Not saying I'm father of the year here...just saying I'm not about to blame a game if my kids go out at 2AM looking for digital creatures. My kids know who I would blame...and that is why they do not go out at 2AM. Parenting even children can understand...go figure.

I can probably agree with an software patch where they remove any Pokemon from the middle of the street or the side of the Grand Canyon etc etc...but an outright ban or placing blame on Nintendo for a death? Craziness.
 
Words of wisdom Skippy.

Little side note....let me just say I was not talking ill on BARKER or his parenting skills...I was just making a broad generalized point. I applaud the parenting as well.
 
Well Skippy, we can always attach our cell phones to our detectors and tell everyone its a new digable version of pokemon..."treasure hunt" :D

Can't be any stranger than me being accused of weed wacking the sand at a beach. Lol!
 
Hi; TheHunterGt, I agree. The fault is NOT the games Fault. The blame is squarely resting on the Parents shoulders. That is why I said at the beginning that I don't believe this fad will pass until EVERY Parent takes the responsibility for their kids actions. That they enforce specific General House Rules that are based on Common Sense. Sadly there are Parents who will let their kids doing "ANYTHING" and let them Act any way they want. I can't speak for them but I can speak for my own kid. She obeys or pays the Price and she "KNOWS" this. But she also knows I will do it out of Love for her rather than my being a Dictator Role. ANYONE hurts my kid may God help them "Period". He will be the ONLY one that can for sure. I will not elaborate. If Folks, don't like it that is their problem, Not mine. She is my kid, No one else's. !!!
As for Nintendo I wish I could buy their stock right now. I'd be stinking rich for sure. Their total value has DOUBLED in just 2 weeks and growing. It is worth more than all it has earned in the last 7 years COMBINED.!!! Now that's a HOT Commodity.!!! :blob8: :toothy1: :tchest: :3some:. PEACE:RONB
 
Not surprised here, this weekend We were at Cruse the Gut In Vancouver WA And thy were Every where looking at there Phones and Not the Old Classic Cars Had to cross the Street Several times Because they were Blocking the Side Walks HH Chug
 
I was Distracted I Was Looking For Barbecue!! Did not find it after 18 Blocks!! Still Had chicken in the Cooler tough!! Chug
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom