monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to work at 1:30am ran home at 9:00am and went to the creek. Walked till about 2pm found a bunch of pottery and a well used Celt that looks to be made from a petrified wood. You can tell they beat this old man up a bunch in his working days. 1st 2 photos are right out of the creek the others are after I washed it. celt1.jpg celt2.jpg celt4.jpg celt5.jpg celt6.jpg celt7.jpg I don't care who you are, celt3.jpg this is never a good thing to happen to you in a creek and you have a 4 mile hike out. I can't complain ,I bought those snake boots close to 18 years ago. There has been a lot of artifacts found while I wore those bad boys.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! Nothing like a good pair of boots. My last pair of ARNG issued boots gave it up after 24 years! I have 7 years on my current go to boots.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find,using wood to cut wood

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, very cool find !

You deserve a new pair of boots after 18 years!

Always enjoy your posts. :icon_thumleft:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 pairs of snake boots if you have a sports academy near you there prices are well worth it. The reason I have 2 pair is cause if 1 gets wet I can wear the other dry till they get wet then the 1st pair are dry again. I have to ask on the Celt on the butt end why are they banged up if they were used to chop trees? My latest one I found shows the same as yours like they were banging something on the end. If they were put in a handle I would think the end wouldnt be banged up. Got any theories on it Monster Rack? Now the pole end Celt I found doesnt show that at all but the square end one does.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 pairs of snake boots if you have a sports academy near you there prices are well worth it. The reason I have 2 pair is cause if 1 gets wet I can wear the other dry till they get wet then the 1st pair are dry again. I have to ask on the Celt on the butt end why are they banged up if they were used to chop trees? My latest one I found shows the same as yours like they were banging something on the end. If they were put in a handle I would think the end wouldnt be banged up. Got any theories on it Monster Rack? Now the pole end Celt I found doesnt show that at all but the square end one does.

Rock these type of celts where used like a splitting wedge , the banged up end is from where they used a hammer stone to strike it. just say you cut down a tree to make a bow are spear shaft and anything like that. You would have a large piece of wood that need to be cut in 1/4 or smaller, that makes it a lot less trimming and scraping to bring something down to size. I saw a depiction of NA cutting into a very large tree and using celts to split off pieces of flatter wood. Good idea on the boots:icon_thumleft:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking on the lines of a wedge type of thing when I looked at it. I know we have wedges here but thought they were different in style other than a Celt. Thanks for clearing it up I learned something today.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! and yeah I think those boots have seen their better days, time for a new pair. I probably should but don't buy snake boots, instead I get rubber boots from Walmart and have found the black ones are the most sturdy even though it takes a bit to break them in. The brown ones crack in certain bending spots. Now we don't have those big cottonmouths or rattlesnakes where I'm at thank goodness just the copperheads and they normally aren't big enough to bite through my rubber boots. If I had the other big snakes I'd buy some snake boots for sure. We do have timber rattlers but further up in the mountains and if I had to worry bout them guys I would invest in a pair of those snake boots like you wear but fortunately they aren't a problem so far.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have timber rattlers here and copperheads i get snake boots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread