All Treasure Hunting

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't help but wonder what clicked in his mind after 65 years to say, today is the day, can I borrow your truck?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know... I saw this story on the news...OVER AND OVER (must have been dry on the dirty laundry)
But anyway... This does not really impress me at all...
I think that is a such a meager amount of pennies for 65 years.
Does anyone else think the "ratio" seems low ?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't remember just what year it was, probably '82. I was working for a company with some convenience stores. I was a 'supervisor', definition: 'general flunky'. I inventoried the stores, repaired the gasoline equipment, etc.
One of the stores, had a house behind the store. The company owned the house and allowed the operator and his family to live there. One night the house burned. A few days later, the operator said he needed to get his coins out of the house. I asked him why he hadn't already got them out. He said there were too many. Instead of rolling pennies, he just put enough of his money in to cover them. I don't remember what they were called, about a foot square, and about that deep, they were containers the army used for ammo. I don't recall how many of these he had stacked in one room of the house they didn't use. I know it was over a dozen. He had to dump the pennies out of the containers, because of the water the fire department used to put out the fire, let them dry, then load them back into the containers. I believe he spent most of his free time for over a month getting those pennies to the bank. I would have liked to have gone through those before he took them to the bank. Probably some great ones in that many pennies.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was on craigslist yesterday--- Raleigh NC---guy had 5000 old pennys for $100.--was his fathers and had old roles unopened to!

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My father-in-law has a couple $1000 worth of pennies scattered around his house. In closets, under the beds, in the cabinets...and he sorts them all by date. Started doing that when he quit smoking. All the family has strongly encouraged him to collect silver or gold...could keep it all in a shoe box or less. Says it will be worth something some day...gonna be us that has to haul all that to the bank...200,000 pennies weighs around 1,100 lbs. Along with his 1960s-70s bottle collection...he found a trash dump and went to town...brought home every ketchup bottle, whiskey bottle, coke bottle, Clorox bottle he could fit in his car...screw top heaven.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread