A head scratcher...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HuntNdig said:
So i just found out about Corp of Engineer parks allowing metal detector on beaches and other disturbed areas...Well, here in Texas a Corp of Engineers lake just so happens to be in the center of a state park. Now, you cannot consume alcohol publicly on state park property BUT if you are in the lake, even just a foot, you are considered on the corp of engineers property and thus allowed to consume alcohol...SOOOO, would it be unreasonable to think that you could metal detect the beaches of the state park as long as you are in the water which belongs to the CoE. I called the state park today and ask if you could metal detect their beaches and the lady blatantly said NO. Hmmm, i just wonder if this could be some kind of over riding loop hole or something. There is a place people call "party cove" for lack of a better term, where everyone ties their boats up and drinks. I'm sure the water is loaded with all kinds of jewelry and stuff...just gotta get out there...what do you think about this, is it just a broken system?

Read it again, sounds to me that he wasn't sure if he could metal detect beaches as long as he was in the water. So he asked and got a "no"...and then asked on this forum what we thought? Is the system broken? These are the questions I was answering/addressing in my post. Don't think I ever said anything suggesting that he stir up the natives in pursuit of the answers he was seeking. :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
big-scoop, yes, of course, it was a question he had, not a "certainty". In the beginning anyhow, an "un-clear-ness", in his initial post. However, following along in the progression, he asks if other persons interpret the "in" vs "out" of the water thing, the same way he was seeing things. So in the end (in his opinion, based on feedback he gathered here), it was no longer an "un-clear-ness". No longer a question.

And yes, as you see, in the interim, when he had asked, he gets a "no". Thus obviously whomever he is asking, is giving wrong information, thus leading to his post, of "what do you guys think?".

Oh, and by the way: This is a CLASSIC example of getting "no's", simply because you ask, and some phone clerk gives you the "easy answer", even when it's baseless, or merely their opinion, or just morphs something else to apply to your question. A classic example of the merit of looking things up for ourselves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread