A HOLY COW day! Capped bust dime EF? !!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I got out today with Lowbatts and Watercolor. We went for a long walk to the area of an old farmhouse. This is the general area where we found the "sweet" cache earlier in the week. ;D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,390079.0.html

Nothing worthwhile came up for some time today, then WC found a Rosie, and 'Batts dug a big wheatie spill. I started poking around for a bit and claimed a Rosie for myself - good deal! :thumbsup: Lowbatts and I stood around BSing for a few minutes, then started hunting in earnest again. I crossed the path and started swinging not too far from the path itself, and in about 5 or 10 minutes, I got a penny sounding signal that looked like it could be a dime if I swung just the right way. OK, here comes another mem cent or maybe a clad dime.... :-\

Well, after finally locating the target in the black mud, I see a reeded edge and think "clad Rosie". I squirted it with water and could see it was silver, so I had another silver Rosie at least. :thumbsup:

CB dirt 1 small.jpg

Well, I need glasses to read, 8) but I don't want to ruin them or lose them, so I keep them in my car which was about a half mile away. So I did the next best thing by squinting and looking at it. I thought that it might be a Barber, so I pulled out my magnifier. What I saw was so shocking to me that I found it hard to believe! I could see it was an 1835 capped bust dime and that it had a lot of detail on it! :thumbsup: :)

CB dirt 2 small.jpg

I set it back down and started yelling out like a goof for the other guys to come over. :o :o :o I wish I could fully describe how digging this beauty made me feel - I hope it's something each of you get to experience if you haven't already! Now I've dug all kinds of old coins, but never a seated. I'm to the point that I wondered if I'd ever find one. To skip past a seated and get a capped bust in this shape was really amazingly awesome!!! Especially at a site where the silvers and wheats were coming up mid 20th century.

I'm no grading expert, but it looks EF-ish to me. My 2010 Red Book lists EF-40 at $300. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Here's the goods, including some kind of animal tag from the 40's.

Obverse CB small.jpg

Reverse CB small.jpg

Finds small.jpg

So a ho-hum hunt really turned into an unbelievable day! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for checking out my finds and HH! :wink:

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TreasureFiend said:
Why is this not up on the BANNER yet?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't know either, but it really should be. Neil, that is without a doubt a fine specimen of a steller Capped Bust. This truly should be on top. You don't see many capped bust coins on here, but one in as great as shape as that one surely deserves to be up there!!! :notworthy:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is a great find.

Congrats. You just never know when the good one's will show.

Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread