A HOLY COW day! Capped bust dime EF? !!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I got out today with Lowbatts and Watercolor. We went for a long walk to the area of an old farmhouse. This is the general area where we found the "sweet" cache earlier in the week. ;D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,390079.0.html

Nothing worthwhile came up for some time today, then WC found a Rosie, and 'Batts dug a big wheatie spill. I started poking around for a bit and claimed a Rosie for myself - good deal! :thumbsup: Lowbatts and I stood around BSing for a few minutes, then started hunting in earnest again. I crossed the path and started swinging not too far from the path itself, and in about 5 or 10 minutes, I got a penny sounding signal that looked like it could be a dime if I swung just the right way. OK, here comes another mem cent or maybe a clad dime.... :-\

Well, after finally locating the target in the black mud, I see a reeded edge and think "clad Rosie". I squirted it with water and could see it was silver, so I had another silver Rosie at least. :thumbsup:

CB dirt 1 small.jpg

Well, I need glasses to read, 8) but I don't want to ruin them or lose them, so I keep them in my car which was about a half mile away. So I did the next best thing by squinting and looking at it. I thought that it might be a Barber, so I pulled out my magnifier. What I saw was so shocking to me that I found it hard to believe! I could see it was an 1835 capped bust dime and that it had a lot of detail on it! :thumbsup: :)

CB dirt 2 small.jpg

I set it back down and started yelling out like a goof for the other guys to come over. :o :o :o I wish I could fully describe how digging this beauty made me feel - I hope it's something each of you get to experience if you haven't already! Now I've dug all kinds of old coins, but never a seated. I'm to the point that I wondered if I'd ever find one. To skip past a seated and get a capped bust in this shape was really amazingly awesome!!! Especially at a site where the silvers and wheats were coming up mid 20th century.

I'm no grading expert, but it looks EF-ish to me. My 2010 Red Book lists EF-40 at $300. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Here's the goods, including some kind of animal tag from the 40's.

Obverse CB small.jpg

Reverse CB small.jpg

Finds small.jpg

So a ho-hum hunt really turned into an unbelievable day! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for checking out my finds and HH! :wink:

Upvote 0

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is just awesome ! Good going on the find . You keep this up and I see another brand new Detector coming up .

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
she's GORGEOUS! congrats!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a real sweetie!!! Congrats :icon_thumright:

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'
That dime is in great condition . . . I haven't had the luck of digging any early silver in such great shape . . . here's an example of extremely poor condition . . . I dug this 1835(?) Half Dime about a month ago in a field with 50 mph winds and bitter temps . . . again, great find.

Attachments

• 1835 Half Dime.jpg
    1835 Half Dime.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 526

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KD,
Outstanding coin!!! :hello2: She really is a beauty. Congrats to you. I know the feeling of excitement you had. I dug an 1833 capped bust half dime in a horse pasture about two years ago. Nowhere near the condition of yours, but it certainly was a milestone for me. I had no clue what it even was when I dug it. :laughing9:
Congrats again, :occasion14:
Doug

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed this post. Exemplary find!! The details that remain on your dime really set it apart from the rest. Very sad if this coin is not good enough for the banner. You have my vote.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Huge Congratulations. I know how bad you want a Seated, but who cares if your digging CB's. :hello2:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie, how/why is this not up on the BANNER yet?!?!?!?!?!?
The age and perfect condition make it more that worthy of the banner!!!!!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Floyd said:
Very nice. I would say it's about xf40 to xf45. :hello2:
That is a beautiful coin, and welcome aboard to one of the great characters of all time - Floyd!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread