A HOLY COW day! Capped bust dime EF? !!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I got out today with Lowbatts and Watercolor. We went for a long walk to the area of an old farmhouse. This is the general area where we found the "sweet" cache earlier in the week. ;D

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,390079.0.html

Nothing worthwhile came up for some time today, then WC found a Rosie, and 'Batts dug a big wheatie spill. I started poking around for a bit and claimed a Rosie for myself - good deal! :thumbsup: Lowbatts and I stood around BSing for a few minutes, then started hunting in earnest again. I crossed the path and started swinging not too far from the path itself, and in about 5 or 10 minutes, I got a penny sounding signal that looked like it could be a dime if I swung just the right way. OK, here comes another mem cent or maybe a clad dime.... :-\

Well, after finally locating the target in the black mud, I see a reeded edge and think "clad Rosie". I squirted it with water and could see it was silver, so I had another silver Rosie at least. :thumbsup:

CB dirt 1 small.jpg

Well, I need glasses to read, 8) but I don't want to ruin them or lose them, so I keep them in my car which was about a half mile away. So I did the next best thing by squinting and looking at it. I thought that it might be a Barber, so I pulled out my magnifier. What I saw was so shocking to me that I found it hard to believe! I could see it was an 1835 capped bust dime and that it had a lot of detail on it! :thumbsup: :)

CB dirt 2 small.jpg

I set it back down and started yelling out like a goof for the other guys to come over. :o :o :o I wish I could fully describe how digging this beauty made me feel - I hope it's something each of you get to experience if you haven't already! Now I've dug all kinds of old coins, but never a seated. I'm to the point that I wondered if I'd ever find one. To skip past a seated and get a capped bust in this shape was really amazingly awesome!!! Especially at a site where the silvers and wheats were coming up mid 20th century.

I'm no grading expert, but it looks EF-ish to me. My 2010 Red Book lists EF-40 at $300. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Here's the goods, including some kind of animal tag from the 40's.

Obverse CB small.jpg

Reverse CB small.jpg

Finds small.jpg

So a ho-hum hunt really turned into an unbelievable day! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for checking out my finds and HH! :wink:

Upvote 0

milco

Nov 4, 2010
Fantastic find and a very scarce one at that in this part of the world! Congrats on a bigtime beauty!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW and HOLY SMOKES
that is a beauty KD---Congrats my friend :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's defenitly a looker. :thumbsup:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do know the feeling on digging these beautiful coins and it's one you never forget.

Congrats, Bill

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truly a once in a lifetime find there buddy.....happy as heck for you :thumbsup:
I Cant stop looking at it,what beautiful detail :o
Seated what??? :laughing7:

HFOT

Soup

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Great job and it is indeed a banner find for this region of the country since settlers only got here 3 years prior to that coin getting minted. The fact it was found at one of the old homesites along the Indian Trace ties it to the earliest folk hereabouts, great dig Neil. That's why we put up with that overgrowth!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs Seated's when you can cut-to-the-chase and dig those :D

I'll tell ya, amid that clutter of late wheats and early Rosies we were
finding there yesterday, your CB was a well-deserved recovery :notworthy:

That is one of the nicest CB dimes I've ever seen dug and it was great
to be there when you found it. Now on to the Draped Bust's!

(Thanks for buying lunch too ;D)

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
That is a really nice coin you dug Neil. WTG!!! I never would have thought one would be found up there in that good of shape. It reminds me of the seated someone found at Washington just below the surface. When I heard that I knew there was hope for all of us. This just reinforces that hope. Now go find your seated. TMAN...

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
tmanfromtexas said:
That is a really nice coin you dug Neil. WTG!!! I never would have thought one would be found up there in that good of shape. It reminds me of the seated someone found at Washington just below the surface. When I heard that I knew there was hope for all of us. This just reinforces that hope. Now go find your seated. TMAN...

Hey Tracy, that was probably my first Seated found,, seems like yesterday.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,203159.msg1443667.html#msg1443667

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful coin, major congrats to you!

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites XLT
What can I say but WOW!! :headbang: That is one super nice coin. I think you need to change your name to "Who needs Seated when you can find Capped Bust". Amazing. I'm speechless. Well done.

Big E
Emil

GAOldsman

Mar 10, 2011
Perry, GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Find! In great shape to boot. :thumbsup: HH
Scot

Nate in Ga