Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Lead What'sit?

Hi everyone. I had the pleasure of an interesting hunt with sasnz yesterday. I will post all our finds in Todays Finds but we are both puzzled by this little beauty I dug up.
It appears to be sheet lead which is sandwiching some other material, forming a ribbon - and this in turn is folded around what appears to be the remains of timber of some sort. The timber would have been approximately 2 1/2" x 5/8" and the lead overall is 3 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 1 3/8"
It weighs in at about 2lbs or just under 1 Kg. Both the timber and the lead cover have been painted.

The nails showing each side of the lead appear to protrude into the timber but don't go all the way through the piece.

lead.1.JPG
lead.2.JPG
lead.3.JPG
Lead.4.JPG

The area where this was found has a lot of colonial history, including the Maori Land Wars.

Any suggestions on identification are most welcome.
Cheers, Mike and sasnz

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Re: A Lead What'sit?

Could it be a crude way to reinforce a butt joint of two pieces of timber?
Owned a shotgun once that had the broken wooden stock repaired by winding copper wire tightly
around the break and sheet lead wrapped over that and hammered smooth.
John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
trikikiwi

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the replies Guys :thumbsup:
Kiwijohn, you're probably on the right track. It is crude and it does sort of look like a bandage.

Any ideas on what the lead 'ribbon' material is :icon_scratch:
and what is so important, you wrap a 2 lb hunk of lead around it ?

Mike

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

I agree it is a piece of lead rolled into a thickness to give it strength and then wrapped around something and nailed to it to either tie it together or reinforce it. Lead has been used for thousands of years for just about everything. Using it to repair things was a common use. It was easy to cut, bend, nail, etc. And it was cheap.

Daryl

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BioProfessor said:
I agree it is a piece of lead rolled into a thickness to give it strength and then wrapped around something and nailed to it to either tie it together or reinforce it. Lead has been used for thousands of years for just about everything. Using it to repair things was a common use. It was easy to cut, bend, nail, etc. And it was cheap.

Daryl

Exactly, I was going to say a 'running repair'.

Upvote 0

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Any ideas on what the lead 'ribbon' material is icon_scratch

Possibly a horse drawn wagon? I have absolutely no experience here, but that would seem pretty important to me for the time period. Just a shot in the dark...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
trikikiwi

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BioProfessor said:

Daryl
Thanks Daryl, your explanation about the rolling to the required thickness was enlightening. It explains the wrapped ribbon effect I see.

Likewise, Thanks Crusader :thumbsup:

and
capt1989 said:
Any ideas on what the lead 'ribbon' material is icon_scratch

Possibly a horse drawn wagon? I have absolutely no experience here, but that would seem pretty important to me for the time period. Just a shot in the dark...
Good thinking capt.
I guess we are unlikely to ever know for sure, what it 'bandaged',
but I do appreciate everyone's input.
HH All :thumbsup:
I'm going to put the Green Tick Of Solved, against this thread.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread