What's new

A little help please

nebstater

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
912
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this in the coins forum also, but thought I would cover my bases and list it here too. I was out today and found what I believe to be a Chinese Cash coin. I spent the last hour trying to identify in on the web, without success. Came close a couple of times, but no cigar. Would really like to have some idea as to type of coin, age, and anything else you might know about it. Thanks in advance for your help.
 

Attachments

  • AHS Chinese (side 1).webp
    AHS Chinese (side 1).webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 380
  • AHS Chinese (side 2).webp
    AHS Chinese (side 2).webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 357
  • AHS Chinese (side 1).webp
    AHS Chinese (side 1).webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 361
  • AHS Chinese (side 2).webp
    AHS Chinese (side 2).webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 356
Is it brass?

I think it goes like this...
 

Attachments

  • AHS_Chinese_(side_2).webp
    AHS_Chinese_(side_2).webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Is it brass?

I think it goes like this...
Yes, it is made of brass and about the same size as an American quarter.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I believe you have a Shun Chih T'ung Pao from the Board of Revenue Peking mint but Im not sure on the mint. Is it 27 mm dia. nebstater?

What do you think Montana Jim?
 

Attachments

  • chinese cash Shun Chih T\'ung Pao.webp
    chinese cash Shun Chih T\'ung Pao.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0
Heres a pic from taz's link.

reign title: SHUN CHIH, AD 1644-1661

AHS_Chinese_(side_2).webpchinese cash shun chi 1644-1661.webp
 

Attachments

  • AHS_Chinese_(side_2).webp
    AHS_Chinese_(side_2).webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Heres a pic from taz's link.

reign title: SHUN CHIH, AD 1644-1661

That's the closest looking one that I've seen so far. It never ceases to amaze me on the age of some of these coins. To get here in the center of the good old U.S.A. it must have been brought here by a service man/woman at some time in the past. It was found near an old WW II air base, so it could have been lost by a fly boy at some time, I guess. Whatever, it was a great find as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the help.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I believe you have a Shun Chih T'ung Pao from the Board of Revenue Peking mint but Im not sure on the mint. Is it 27 mm dia. nebstater?

What do you think Montana Jim?

You are right about the size of the coin. It is 27 mm in diameter.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I believe you have a Shun Chih T'ung Pao from the Board of Revenue Peking mint but Im not sure on the mint. Is it 27 mm dia. nebstater?

What do you think Montana Jim?

I think you're right about what it's suppossed to represent, but IMO it's a modern replica based on the style of text (charactors) and the bumps on the obverse... a tell tale giveaway.

Probebly sold as a replica set... example follows...

coinlarge.jpg
coinsmall.jpg
Coin-set.jpg
 
Upvote 0
nebstater said:
That's the closest looking one that I've seen so far. It never ceases to amaze me on the age of some of these coins. To get here in the center of the good old U.S.A. it must have been brought here by a service man/woman at some time in the past. It was found near an old WW II air base, so it could have been lost by a fly boy at some time, I guess. Whatever, it was a great find as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the help.
Yes is a nice find and very old. Unfortunately most Chinese Cash coins have little value and are a common find out West or anywhere in Chinatown or near the railroads. I found a few myself.
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I believe you have a Shun Chih T'ung Pao from the Board of Revenue Peking mint but Im not sure on the mint. Is it 27 mm dia. nebstater?

What do you think Montana Jim?

I think you're right about what it's suppossed to represent, but IMO it's a modern replica based on the style of text (charactors) and the bumps on the obverse... a tell tale giveaway.

Probebly sold as a replica set... example before...
My first thought was replica but I didnt want to say. Thats why I asked if it was brass. The characters do not match exacty esp. the mint mark. Now that you mention the bumps, I agree replica. They are hard to see the pic is a bit blurry. Good call Jim.

Here is another replica set. (first coin in the set) http://laughton.org/contest8/prize1a.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Probebly sold as a replica set... example follows...

Thanks for the info. Didn't know anything about this type of item, so thought that I would post it and see what came up. It very well could be a fake, but it's still an unusal find. Thanks for the info.
 
Upvote 0
My first thought was replica but I didnt want to say. Thats why I asked if it was brass. The characters do not match exacty esp. the mint mark. Now that you mention the bumps, I agree replica. They are hard to see the pic is a bit blurry. Good call Jim.

Here is another replica set. (first coin in the set) http://laughton.org/contest8/prize1a.jpg
[/quote]

Thanks for all your help Big Cyprus. It was probably lost by some school kid. It doesn't really surprise me that it might be a fake. Thanks for the help.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom