What's new

A Little Out of the Ordinary

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted a modern site that has potential for Victorian military finds...not today but loaded up on clad and a couple foreign coins. There is some age there but it's a big property and I had little time.

I don't know how the clad hunters do it...my back would be killing me after a few hours of this.

Find of the day was the lighting rod from a fallen down house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446316931.535459.webp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446316948.294896.webp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446316959.675392.webp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446316973.306156.webp
 
Upvote 20
I have tried a couple more modern sites and it just does nothing for me. After I got a small taste of the colonial stuff I was destined to only hunt the earliest sites. If I had it my way I would hunt nothing but 17th century stuff. I love sites where you get a nice high tone and your heart starts racing because you know it's going to be old and likely an awesome keeper. Yes my totals are way way lower than most people's. I have found more Spanish silver than any of the more modern stuff. I'm good with that 8-). Go rest your back and figure out the next old spot to hit up my man.
 
If I had it my way I would hunt nothing but 17th century stuff.


Then you would never have a chance to dig most of the best Colonial or State copper coins or any Rev War military... but if you say so. :)
 
Then you would never have a chance to dig most of the best Colonial or State copper coins or any Rev War military... but if you say so. :)

Hey who the hell asked the dude wearing spandex
 
True, you likely have buckles to clean.

I do agree with you that the late 18th century sites have the potential for some of the most rare and valuable finds. And I thoroughly enjoy those finds. But being the loser that can't find a Rev War or GW or rattlesnake button I don't know what that feels like. Maybe one day. But I also feel like there's not many people lucky enough to hunt 17th century sites so putting a fair amount of time on them is an easy decision. All I find at the late 18th century sites is toasted coppers and a few spanish. Oh yeah and those pesky buckles lol
 
I do agree with you that the late 18th century sites have the potential for some of the most rare and valuable finds. And I thoroughly enjoy those finds. But being the loser that can't find a Rev War or GW or rattlesnake button I don't know what that feels like. Maybe one day. But I also feel like there's not many people lucky enough to hunt 17th century sites so putting a fair amount of time on them is an easy decision. All I find at the late 18th century sites is toasted coppers and a few spanish. Oh yeah and those pesky buckles lol


Well keep in mind the stuff you named is still fairly rare stuff, and you being still wet behind your detecting ears it makes sense you haven't dug all, or even any of those. It will be much the same way as your MA silver when it happens.... it will just happen. But I do agree, very few can hunt sites that early, and I am not one of them. You, Bill, Romeo has the potential... but 17th century does not exist here. The finds maybe, but not the sites. The only thing I dislike about such old places is them being too old for those types of finds I mentioned above. So it's a different type of site, but still a rush when you're on ground that old.
 
Well keep in mind the stuff you named is still fairly rare stuff, and you being still wet behind your detecting ears it makes sense you haven't dug all, or even any of those. It will be much the same way as your MA silver when it happens.... it will just happen. But I do agree, very few can hunt sites that early, and I am not one of them. You, Bill, Romeo has the potential... but 17th century does not exist here. The finds maybe, but not the sites. The only thing I dislike about such old places is them being too old for those types of finds I mentioned above. So it's a different type of site, but still a rush when you're on ground that old.

Absolutely. In a perfect world I could detect 4 or 5 days a week and I wouldn't have to worry about picking a site. I could just hit them all. I'm dying to find a Rev War or even War of 1812 button for that matter. Right near the tippy top of my list. Digging that Mass silver made it hard to resist those early sites. I foolishly believe Ibe got a good chance of finding more of them. I know it's unrealistic but I convince myself that there's gotta be one or two of them at some of these 17th century sites
 
there a little rusted perhaps it would be smart to dust off the dirt with a little rubbing alcohol and there you go perfect its sad how precious objects with much value can go hidden for so long :) cheers on your good discovery
 
I see a large copper disc mixed in, a bell, and a cool anchor, musket balls. The rest you could pass out to the kids knocking on the door tonight.
 
Pretty cool Romeo. My first what the heck is it find was a spear point lightning rod from an old silo site
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    202.3 KB · Views: 91
I see a large copper disc mixed in, a bell, and a cool anchor, musket balls. The rest you could pass out to the kids knocking on the door tonight.

Good idea!
 
Congrats on the nice haul. It's easy for a clad hunter to did tons of targets, just believing that the next plug is "the plug" that produces treasure is plenty of motivation to dig and dig and then dig some more.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom