A Merc Ends The Slump

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
It had been about two months since the last time I found a mercury dime, I remember that day well, as I was on the phone telling Tom a million great things about the park we would eventually pull out some silver from. Anyhow, the Explorer had scored three Roosevelts to date and my thirst for my favorite coin is always persistent.

Tom and I began our hunt at around the usual morning time and as always, it's off to digging. We pretty much have our routine and methods figured out. Tom BTW has been doing really well, not only with his silver count, but it seems his M6 has a penchant for silver rings. I came across a small patch that produced a wheat and some quarters, good sign. A good rain delay later that shaved hours off our hunt, I returned to the same patch and came across two more wheats and a deep orange/redish rosie. I like finding these because it tells me they've been there for a while.

I don't have too much time in with the Explorer, but I have become somewhat familiar with that cross-hair position that hints towards silver. The crosshairs were almost to the right and most of them were way off to the top. Only a bit of the bottom remained on the screen. The signal was faint. You could hear it but it was low. I dug down to about six inches and finally was able to see the coin as I grabbed another handful of dirt. No need to pass it by the coil, it was a merc making a trademark shiny appearance. Of all the mercs I have found, this one was in really great shape (1926), less the ding on the neck. I am 99.8% convinced this was already there. Blended perfectly as opposed to the shiny streak I would've left. Also found the dog tag and the bent up medal (I believe). In celebration of the end to a merc slump, I rounded up all the merc finds and snapped a photo.

Ricardo

Attachments

• Jun22a.JPG
    Jun22a.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 470
  • Jun22b.JPG
    Jun22b.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 477
  • June22c.JPG
    June22c.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 432
  • June22d.JPG
    June22d.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 430
  • June22e.JPG
    June22e.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 425
  • June22Celbratingmercslump.JPG
    June22Celbratingmercslump.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Don't do it Larry! My very own unit give me trouble.......even embarrasses me here and there. I've had to quickly fill up a deep empty or junk producing hole before Tom walks over to see it on more than a few occassions.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Don't do it Larry! My very own unit give me trouble.......even embarrasses me here and there. I've had to quickly fill up a deep empty or junk producing hole before Tom walks over to see it on more than a few occassions.

I dug 5 holes in a row last night with a good signal then as soon as I was down about 6 inches, nothing. No signal no blip, nothing. The Sunray couldn't even find it! Very frustrating. >:(

Of course the whole time, Baldingboy was standing behind me laughing himself silly over it. Darn him and his XLT! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions