A Merc Ends The Slump

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
It had been about two months since the last time I found a mercury dime, I remember that day well, as I was on the phone telling Tom a million great things about the park we would eventually pull out some silver from. Anyhow, the Explorer had scored three Roosevelts to date and my thirst for my favorite coin is always persistent.

Tom and I began our hunt at around the usual morning time and as always, it's off to digging. We pretty much have our routine and methods figured out. Tom BTW has been doing really well, not only with his silver count, but it seems his M6 has a penchant for silver rings. I came across a small patch that produced a wheat and some quarters, good sign. A good rain delay later that shaved hours off our hunt, I returned to the same patch and came across two more wheats and a deep orange/redish rosie. I like finding these because it tells me they've been there for a while.

I don't have too much time in with the Explorer, but I have become somewhat familiar with that cross-hair position that hints towards silver. The crosshairs were almost to the right and most of them were way off to the top. Only a bit of the bottom remained on the screen. The signal was faint. You could hear it but it was low. I dug down to about six inches and finally was able to see the coin as I grabbed another handful of dirt. No need to pass it by the coil, it was a merc making a trademark shiny appearance. Of all the mercs I have found, this one was in really great shape (1926), less the ding on the neck. I am 99.8% convinced this was already there. Blended perfectly as opposed to the shiny streak I would've left. Also found the dog tag and the bent up medal (I believe). In celebration of the end to a merc slump, I rounded up all the merc finds and snapped a photo.

Ricardo

Attachments

• Jun22a.JPG
    Jun22a.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 470
  • Jun22b.JPG
    Jun22b.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 477
  • June22c.JPG
    June22c.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 432
  • June22d.JPG
    June22d.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 430
  • June22e.JPG
    June22e.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 425
  • June22Celbratingmercslump.JPG
    June22Celbratingmercslump.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Congrats on ending your slump! Nothing like the look of silver coming out of the ground. Send some of that carma this way so I can end my slump. ;D

HH

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Very nice collection ya got there Ric :)
Thanks for posting , I always look for your posts because I know
you are the real deal .....no BS and always some excellent info to
help folks out and keep them inspired.
Keep it up :)

Doozis

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Merc, Ricardo! I am in a slump as well. I hit an old cellar hole yesterday and came up totally empty. I must have been a little late to that party!

I have taken the first steps toward the SE as well. I sold my old Garrett last night on eBay. For now I will stick to the ACE 250 until I get the Minelab.

Glad to see you hung in there!!

Take care!

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking Mercury dime, I haven't found one with my Eagle Spectrum, yet!!! ..but I have found a few with my Eagle II back in the early 1990's. Glad to hear your slump is over, I was in one for about 3 weeks myself. nothing but clad. HH -Robert

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Mercs. They certainly are good looking coins. Congrats ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i always have loved the design on the merc. very cool looking coin. congrats on breaking the slump! ;)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still Scratching the serface of the earth looking for my first merc. WTG !!

Keep @ it and HH!!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
That photo does'nt do that little beauty justice,Ricardo.She is in sweet shape.Many more to follow with Explorer.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Congrats on ending that Merc slump. Those Merc's are really cool, definately a design I absolutely love. I really can't wait to get my hands fixed. I miss MDing so badly. I really love pulling those Merc's out of the ground.

Rev

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just found my first Merc last week.....I guess it's the beginning of my Slump :( Very nice find's...HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread